1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass Talk Box?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by RyRob813, Apr 12, 2009.

1. RyRob813

RyRob813

Jun 7, 2007
    St. Paul, MN
    Been listening to some awesome tracks with talk box in it, and I really want to use one. Are there any talk boxes made specifically for bass, and if not, can you use one with a bass?

Thanks!

2. no. you really dont need it. any talk box will do. i ran one with my last band, and the only problem i had was the low end loss and the lack of competent sound guys. run it will a clean blend and you're golden.

heres my review of the danelectro talk box with bass

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Nice lip ring, hippie ;)

Cool demo. Would have loved to have heard a clean sound with it, but for distortion sounds it kicks.

4. wow that sounds pretty good. do you just have to blow in that tube to activate the effect?

5. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    No, the sound of the bass comes OUT of the tube, and you use your mouth to shape the sound. It's kind of like using a wah pedal, but with your mouth.

6. The other option is a digitech talker. They've stopped making them, but I love mine! You plug a mic in one input and a bass in the other and it makes the mic vowels etc come out at the pitch of the bass. It's pretty cool.

7. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    Wouldn't the new EHX Voice Box do the same thing?

8. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    hmm I am suprised by how good that sounds. And to think I had already bought half the (very cheap) materials to build a "ghetto talk box"

these are cheap aren't they? might have to get one to play with

9. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    yes, you'd need an actual mic as well.

10. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    yeah, i've had my eye on those, on and off, for quite a while

11. jimmy, my beef with the dano talk box is that there IS no clean. you'll notice i said this is the cleanest i can get it while still making noise.

i want to try the rocktron banshee, as i feel its features would be better suited for me.

mine was a christmas present years ago, so i really have no idea what they cost.

the lip ring is my pride an joy. i wanted it since i was 13, and then when i got the chance, i almost chickened out because of my needle phobia. its more like a trophy than jewelry. it also keeps my talk box tube on the right side :p

12. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ah, I shouldn't have skipped around the video ;)

13. Stickk

Stickk

Sep 2, 2008
    Jambi