1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass Tasters is gone!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Alex, Apr 29, 2006.

1. I think that their lease or whatever expired.

I hope they get it back up, that site was really helpful.

2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin Banned

Dec 11, 1999
    I am sure that Todd had to take it down, now that he's got a gig as a product reviewer for Bass Guitar Magazine

3. Damn, that must be a sweet gig!

Wasn't there another guy who he made the site with? He could keep it running, eh?

4. gwx014

gwx014

Dec 22, 2005
    That'd be a sweet gig! I agree he should've kept running bass tasters though.

5. steveb98

steveb98 [acct disabled - multiple aliases]

Mar 15, 2006
    Venice, CA
    I was on the site just a couple days ago. I appears the domain name has expired he might of forgot to renew the name, or as others say he might be taking it down.

Bummer I just discovered the site and spend all afternoon listening to sound samples. It was quite an education in gear. I will miss it.

6. Maybe he had to shut it down to take the job to prevent bias or something.

7. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Crud - it was a great site. We've lost a great resource.

8. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    that would be a real shame if it goes. perhaps someone else might host it or something?

9. Wasn't the idea of the site that the listener could develop his own bias by listening to the unaltered clips that compared different gear under the same conditions?

10. Yeah, but I'm sure it was BP that made him shut it down to get the job for some reason.

11. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I would assume that, because Bass Guitar Magazine has part of its content dedicated to gear reviews, that it's simply a business decision on their part.

12. BP has always had gear reviews, as well. Am I missing your point?

13. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    If Todd got a job at Bass Guitar Magazine as Mike said, then it's bad business to have one of your own employees providing the same service or services that your company does, for free. Like I said, it may not seem like a big deal to us, but it's a standard business practice.

14. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    couldnt have happened to a nicer (and smarter) guy... :cool:

15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    If I were he, I'd've said, "Sure, I'll shut it down ... right after you buy it from me for $X,000,000."

16. Headroom

Headroom

Apr 5, 2002
    Thanks for having hosted the site for us Todd! I confess that I had difficulty discerning a large difference between most of the various preamps. The greatest difference I could detect were due to a bass’s pickup configuration and whether or not it had an onboard preamp. Of course my difficulty may have been due do a shortcoming in my own signal chain – computer soundcard, ears and brain are all suspect.

17. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    IMO we should first make sure that this is the case, and then flood BP with complaint emails about this. Basstasters did not make reviews, they just had sound samples, something that BP doesn't do. A magazine supported by bassists should do things for their convenience, not fight them.

18. But by hosting those clips its basically bypassing having to review them, your kind of reviewing them for yourself instead of getting the magazine and reading what its review is saying, i think thats the kind of think superduck was getting at?

19. I agree with what your saying, but anything the mag could see as even slight competition is a no-no

Hope bass tasters will be back tho !

20. I wonder if he realizes how much gear he actually got people to decide to buy with that site.

I will have an EBS Bass IQ one day and a Thunderfunk Amp also, all because I heard them for the first time on his site.

Maybe even an Elrick lol.