bass teacher

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by gavintheguy, Feb 27, 2004.

1. gavintheguy

gavintheguy Guest

Feb 5, 2004
    well i am currently trying to locate a resonably priced db teacher in the dallas area. i have played db for almost four years and would like greatly to continue on. any suggestions?
  2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    1) A good teacher is priceless.

2) In Dallas it should take almost an entire afternoon to find a good teacher. If you really have no clue, call the Musician's Union and ask what bass players you should pester. Go hear them play. If you like what they're doing, find out if they teach, or who taught them, or who they would recommend.

3) ASAP. Four years without a compass will get you far away from home.
  3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    In addition to the above suggestions, most reputible strings shops have a teachers list. Get some names and may some calls. You should get some some sense of who they are from your conversation.
  4. John Greenan

John Greenan

Mar 10, 2002
    John Adams. He used to be the bass instructor at UNT and plays around town quite a bit. I think you can contact him through his website at
  5. Eric_J

Eric_J Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Flower Mound, TX. USA
    You might also contact the professors at UNT and SMU to see if they have any graduate students that teach in your area. You could also contact the orchestra director at your local high school or middle school. They probably have someone who teaches private lessons.
  6. North Texas will have a jazz teacher that could put you in touch with others. Also might check gollihur .com in his list for bass luthiers/repair list. They should should have a line on teachers.
  7. John Greenan

John Greenan

Mar 10, 2002
    These are all good suggestions. Living here (and having helped my son find a bass teacher a year ago), I can fill in a couple specifics. Lynn Seaton is the bass instructor at the UNT jazz program. Contact information for him is available at the college website. He probably won't take on any students, but he'll know who will. UNT also has a classical bass teacher (don't remember his name right now) that you could contact through the music department.

Checking out grad students is also a good idea. I had contact with a Jeff Novack who had a master's in bass from UNT (you can find him on the web without too much trouble). He seemed nice, but he's with a steadily playing band and they were out on tour when I tried to reach him and my son had already started with someone else by the time we made contact. I'm sure there are many others around.

I wouldn't spend much time on the bass luthier's list. The only one on it for Dallas is Jay Rury, and while he's very nice, he is so self-effacing that I don't know that you could get him to give you a recommendation.

I could never make contact with the bass instructors at SMU--not necessarily a bad sign, they might have been away when I was trying. But their information can be found at SMU's website as well.

At least one of the bassists at the Dallas Symphony also gives lessons. I don't remember his name, either, but there was a really neat article about him in the Dallas Morning News recently. He's one of only two African Americans in the symphony (for many years was the only one) and he's been active in trying to promote learning bass in the minority community.

Hope that is some help.
  8. gavintheguy

gavintheguy Guest

Feb 5, 2004
    All sound like great ideas, however looking into this the travel and money don't seem to fit right now. Maybe at a later date.