"Bass" teachers...do they even exist?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Sock Justice, Mar 27, 2002.

1. Or are they all stupid guitar players who think bass is for those with no talent?

I tried taking lessons from a guy who said "guitar and bass instruction, for all levels, all ages, all styles"...when I got in there, all he did was play a few riffs on his guitar, talk about how great he was at guitar, and how he hates playing bass...to quote him "bass is so simple...it's only four strings...I can do everything anyone can do on a bass, on my guitar, and thirty times faster"...then he went into HIPPIE STORIES....now, I have no problem with someone being a hippie...it's a personal decision, but I don't go to 20 dollar an hour bass lessons to hear about the first time you got caught smoking pot, and what your dad who, was in the army (working for the man) did to you for it. He was like 50, too...all he did was talk about Pot, how legendary he was at guitar, how great his voice was, and how he had a perfect ear/pitch. Oh, did I also mention he sprained my finger (almost broke it...I couldn't play for a week and a half) because I played the wrong note? he was like "third fret" so I put my finger there, and he said "NO! THIS third fret!" and grabbed my finger and forced it onto the fretboard...I heard a loud pop when he did this.

Consequently, I never went to him again. when you live in alaska, there aren't many options...he was the only teacher I could get in with...we don't have a single "bass" teacher, who actually plays bass. Well, not that I've found in three years of searching. What the hell can I do to get some real help? books get old...and so does jamming in my room with a cd, over, and over, and over...

Are real teachers just a myth?
  2. I know quite a few people who are "real" teachers. Whoever you had was not a "teacher" at all. That was crap, I wouldn't have paid him and left. The people I know play bass and they will teach you want you want. I'm sure they do have a guitar, but I play bass and I have a guitar to. But I play bass.
  3. I don't mind if the teachers play guitar as their primary instrument...i'm not mad about that. I own a guitar too(yes, the dark side has slowly pulled me in) but i'm primarily a bass player. I just want to find someone who has knowledge, and doesn't mind showing by example on a bass, rather than just saying how worthless and simple the instrument is...
  4. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Sorry about your bad luck with a bogus music teacher. Don't give up hope, though. There are excellent "pure bass" teachers and even some guitarists who respect bass and can teach you something worthwhile.

Two things you might try--if you have a local music equipment store, they often have a small bulletin board where bands can advertise for musicians or teachers can advertise for students. Check the board. If no bass teachers advertise there, put up your own ad asking for a bass teacher.

Also ask the clerks in the music store if they know someone who teaches bass guitar. They might, because they know who buys pro level bass equipment. In fact, one of them might even be willing to teach you to augment their music store income.

Or try a classified ad in the newspaper, preferably on a Sunday. Say "Seeking Bass Guitar Instruction." If you just say bass, some readers may misunderstand and think you want help bass fishing. Honest.

Good luck in your search. I hope you eventually find a good teacher. You won't regret it.
  5. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i've had several of the same type of experience...i'm hoping that since i've relocated (read: transferred with the navy ;)) maybe i'll be able too find someone...i've singled out a couple good ones i think. southeast georgia is a horrible place to try to find instruction :rolleyes: a base geetar? what's that?? :D anyway, good luck in your search...and if you happen across any, send some my way...
  6. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
  7. That wasn't the guy...but that thread you guys had going about that got me thinking about my "teacher" that's why I decided to write it out, and ask if anyone had any experiences like it...thanks for all the input, guys. Much appreciated.

8. I've found an excellent bass guitar teacher here in Ithaca, but Ithaca College has one of the best and most open-minded jazz programs in the country, so I'm not surprised.

Anyhow, if there's a music school in your area, advertise there. When they start calling you, ask if they double on upright; that way, you'll weed out the dumbass guitarists and get some people who know how to play bass--be it on BG or DB.
  9. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Enter: Joe Bucher.

10. Thanks for the information on what I should do. UAA(university of alaska anchorage) doesn't have a very large music program, unfortunetly, and I've called them asking if some poor, creative, starving college student needed a pupil, but they had none currently teaching. They probably have no idea, though. I'll try to get up there soon(cruise in my mom's Van...it's really hard to look cool when you have no car, and no license...and doubly hard to look cool with your mom driving, blasting country...) and post something in the music building.

I love the people on talkbass...it's such an awesome little (but growing) community.

11. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Who you checking out, neptoon? I'd be curious to see!

I can guarantee you there are plenty of teachers in Alaska if you look hard enough. Here's a pretty good place to start:

You can do a teacher search there. Works out well. If you get no names, don't stop there...it just means that no teacher advertised themself there. I guarantee they're out there.
  12. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    well, the best bassist that gives lessons that i've found so far is a guy named les shelton. great guy. one of the guys here on the boards, KeithPas knows him. i watched him play at a place called the nineteenth hole here in chico, and they sounded pretty good. heck, i was impressed. i've talked to a couple other guys, but they're the kind that play guitar and think that a bass is a guitar sans two strings (even though i play a 6...:rolleyes:)...go figure...if you know of anyone, spit it out, man! ;)
  13. let's just hope that one day a heavy bass falls of the shelf and hits him hard...:D :rolleyes:
  14. craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    i went through teacher after teacher when i was first learning to play bass. same thing, they were all guitar players that "thought" they could play bass. all they would do is teach me how to play the latest "hit" on the radio. total waste of time.

i ended up seeing a band live and i liked the bass player a lot. i just went up to the bass player during their set break and asked him directly if he would help teach me lessons.

i know that just because someone is a good player, that doesn't necessarily make them a good teacher, but i lucked out.
  15. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I've had lessons with a guitar player that played bass before. Never, ever again!!!

First off, when I brought in my 6-string, his eyes bugged out of his head. He'd never seen one before. He'd never heard of playing with three fingers. (Not that that means very much, but it is weird) He was a nice person, but I didn't like the direction the lessons were going in.

Still, I did learn a fair amount nonetheless. I eliminated some bad habits and my playing did become cleaner as a result. I would recommend finding a teacher that is an ACTUAL BASSIST, though - and not stopping 'til you find one!
  16. Bass Teachers..
    i get taught by a guitar teacher, it hasnt really been an issue really. Hes still very good at bass, teaches me theory and all. although i wish i had a bass teacher. My teacher gets surprised by double thumbing etc, althoughg hes still an excellent resource, he teaches me classical, rock and funk techniques...its a great insight into how i should work with guitar players.
  17. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    oh, yeah. sure he can :rolleyes:

i'd like to see him even _tune_ this...

... and i seriously doubt he could do anything usable with it.

you should invite tard-boy over here to talkbass, i'd like to learn more about his "technique". :rolleyes: :D