Bass teachers, help

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tim Cole, Dec 1, 2002.

1. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    My drummer owns a music store, and has been dropping hints to me for quite some time for giving lessons, I had been reluctant for a while, since I have neever instructed anyone, but have since had a change of heart. The clown he has selling at the store now is a guitar player, and a shoddy one at that. He teaches students NO theory, I was there one night waiting for a late band practice, and heard this goon give 3 different guitar students the same lesson in a row, all 3 got to learn the latest creed radio garbage tune. This creppy guitar player also gives bass lessons, this is the part that made me sick, and feel OBLIGATED to give lessons, and their bass students their moneys worth: Another night while waiting for band practice, one of his bass students was waiting out back for his mom to pick him up, since he was dropped off, and his music teacher didn't bother showing for him. I struck up some coversation with him, to help pass the time until his mom came back for him. Me: "So how long have you been playing bass?" Student: "I got my first bass about 2 months ago" ME: "what are you learning in your lessons right now?" Student: "Slap". My jaw just about hit the ground, fisrt off, this so called "teacher" doesn't even know how to play any slap, much less teach any.....the only few easy licks he knows, are ones he saw me doing fiddling around, warming up. Second off, and most importantly. WHAT THE HECK IS HE DOING TRYING TO TEACH A 2 MONTH OLD STUDENT SOMETHING LIKE SLAP????? After a few incidents, and my reccomendation to my drummer/friend/store owner, the guy is getting the can from the place all together, and I agreed to take his students. My question is, where do I start? I haven't had any lessons in years, and want to make sure I am giving the students what they are paying for, and expect...I want to be a good teacher, not just another hack like the last guy. Anyone have any reccomendations on places to find teaching resources, or good places to start? I never felt much like teaching, until I seen what the people are currently getting, I know I could do better than that, I just want to know for myself I am doing the right thing, plus it is bound to help me myself learn new things also. Thanks in advance!