Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Teachers in Palm Beach County, FL?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by wannabe_bassist, Apr 28, 2002.

1. wannabe_bassist

wannabe_bassist Guest

Jan 25, 2002
    Florida
    I have been looking but cannot seem to find anyone via the web or word of mouth. Lots of guitar teachers but no one who primarily teaches bass.

Can anyone help out?

Thanks in advance!

2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Palm Beach Community College had music courses, some in bass guitar. I don't know your age or where in Palm Beach County you are located, so I don't know if you can even attend PBCC or if it would be convenient.

Have you tried going to a music instrument store such as Marathon Music or one of the others that sells instruments? Sometimes they have private classes right in their store. The Marathon Music store in Boynton Beach ( Woolbright Road near Federal Highway 1) was the place I had my very first bass guitar classes. Or you could ask the sales people if they know any bass teachers.

Another thing, many music stores have bulletin boards that have ads for teachers and for musicians. If no bass teacher is advertising, put up your own notice asking for a bass teacher. If you are a beginner, be sure to mention it, as some teachers want only intermediate or advanced students.

Also check the phone book yellow pages under music classes. There may be some one there who says they teach bass guitar.

I am not in Palm Beach County right now or I could do some checking for you. I plan to go in a couple weeks, but in the meantime, try some of these suggestions. Let me know if you find anyone.

3. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Whoops, I forgot to mention this! There used to be two free magazines printed on newsprint that were distributed nearly weekly in CD stores and music instrument stores. One is called "The Rag". I forget what the other is called , something equally short and sweet.

Anyway, they deal with the South Florida music scene (usually the heavy metal scene) and have ads in the back...Musician wanted; bass player wanted; rehearsal space available, etc. Sometimes there are ads for classes. Example: Former Nashville studio bassist is offering classes to a select few students. Bargain rates if you pay a full month's classes in advance. Call Joe Bass Player.

I don't know if either one still exists, but check it out. I know Camelot used to have them by the door and Boynton Marathon had them near the door also.

One last idea. If you go to any concerts of local South Florida bands, be brave and ask the bass player (if he/she is any good) if they teach classes. That may be a golden opportunity or you might get a hot dog who plays only roots on the E-string and then couldn't even tell you the name of the root.

4. those mags are available at all the music stores I know, the Mars on Palm Beach Lakes, the Guitar Center on Okeechobee and Haverhill, the Marathon on Okeechobee and Spencer and the Marathon just off I-95 by Blue Heron.

As for the options...
    Jupiter Music is a Bassists music store you will definitly find a bass teacher there.

My buddy Paul Bobitz is an excellent instructor. He lives in Lake Worth, he's not principally a bassist but an excellent teacher and a great guy.

If you are intrested in Upright, Dave Tomasello is "THE" guy to take lessons from.

Let me know what your intrested in and I'll pass along the contact info.

Karl