Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Teachers

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by kieren, Jul 29, 2005.

1. kieren

kieren

Jul 28, 2005
    If you are a beginner does it help if you go and have lessons because some can cost a lot of money just for one lesson.

2. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    Lessons are good. So is reading the forum rules/name that you are posting in.

3. utopia_imminent

utopia_imminent

Jun 19, 2004
    get a bass and an amp and play ass off. for my guidance, get a book to learn the basics of theory if dun know much.

4. Teachers are good. So is welcoming a new member to TB without snitching at them to read the forum rules or "do a search" ;)

5. mjw

mjw

Jun 12, 2001
    Spring, TX USA
    Welcome Kieren! Yes, it's definately worth it. FYI, there are a lot of great threads regarding this in the General Instruction forum. Have a look.

--mike

6. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    There lots of good info here.

If you can, try and skim read the whole lot.

But to try and answer your question. a teacher is someone who not only passes on info, but also coaches you to extend yourself.

And good education isn't cheap.

7. 4x4Given

4x4Given

Jul 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I've struggled with the question of taking lessons myself over the last 5 years. But I have found I keep learning "real world" technique, skills, songs amd get situational experience by simply getting involved in playing with local musicians in "for fun" garage bands (we do east gigs - parties and such) and playing consistently in my local church band (which may not apply for all). I also have reviewed a few Bass training DVD's and VHS's on the basics and blues. This and hanging out here at TB and spending time practicing (about 1 - 2 hours a day) and I'm growing.

Will classes help? Probably. So this thread may prove interesting to me as well.