1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

bass/temperature question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HoosierBassist, Jan 15, 2012.

1. HoosierBassist

HoosierBassist

Dec 18, 2010
    Hey,

Last night I jammed for a couple hours in a buddies garage. It was probably in the 30's. Space heater kinda worked. then we walked over to a nearby taco bell to get something to eat. we were gone about 30 minutes. I had my bass in the hardcase, but it was not zipped up all the way, the strap was sticking out. The bass was covered up all they way, but not zipped up totally. So, do I need to worry about the cold affecting my bass for the time that I was gone? I was gone for about 40 minutes

2. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Not knowing what kind of bass you have, I can't give you a 100% certain answer, but I would recommend putting it in the house while you're gone if, for no other reason than not having to deal with a cold bass when you return.

Will it *hurt* it? I seriously doubt it. Bands store guitars and basses in unheated trucks overnight all the time while on tour. Prolonged exposure, on the other hand, is obviously not a good thing.

3. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Chances are you're fine. When I do a gig/rehearsal/studio session I generally try to bring my bass(s) into the room I'm going to be playing in when I first arrive and take them out, or at least unzip the gig bag. Most bass guitars(particularly solid bodies) can deal with a bit of temperature fluctuation without any serious problems but as they warm-up or cool down the tuning can often change. In severe cases, if you take a bass straight out of a cold car or van directly into a hot club you can get condensation issues, this can cause the neck and strings to feel clammy and slow and effect the general playability.

As a general rule of thumb I try not to expose my basses to any conditions that would make me uncomfortable in terms of heat and cold. I wouldn't want to stay in a hot car with the windows up, nor would I want to spend the night in a garage or car when it's 25 degrees F.

4. LowBstring

LowBstring

Feb 12, 2011
    Maine
    It's not the cold that hurts it, it's rapid temperature change. So when you bring it inside, leave it in its case for several hours so temperatures can equalize.

When playing a cool outdoor gig, be sure to let your bass cool off slowly before you take it out of its case. What I try to do is keep the bass out of its case before it gets cold so the bass adjusts as the temp falls.

If you screw up it will only ruin the finish, but won't effect the playing.

5. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    My guide is this: "If the temperature or humidity are unsuitable for me, they are also unsuitable for my instrument."

6. I've played outdoors in colder temps than that - not *much* colder mind you. I have no doubt it'll be fine.

7. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Once the instrument reaches temperature X (hot or cold), it's OK. It's the change from X to Y (colder or hotter) that can create problems. I doubt you hurt anything.

I would not take it in the house if you leave for a few minutes - leave it in the temp it has assumed. To change temps, put it back in the case or bag, close it, move it to the new temp, and let it sit for an hour or so.