bass terms

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jpowellg, Jun 27, 2001.

  1. jpowellg

    jpowellg Guest

    Jun 26, 2001
    i was wondering what does it mean to hammer and to pluck and slide and stuff like that when you play your bass guitar.
  2. ThePaste

    ThePaste Guest

    Dec 23, 2000
    West Virginia USA
    Pluck: To actually strike the string with your finger in order to make a sound.

    Hammer: After you pluck the string, while pressing down the string onto the fretboard (known as fretting), without plucking again, you fret another note. For example, you pluck the string while fretting an A (5th fret on the E string), then while it is ringing out, you press down on the A# (6th fret on the E string)

    Slide: When you fret a note, without lifting it again, you just "slide" it up and down the fretboard.
  3. or to say it in redneck-language :

    Howdy y'all !

    'ere's some slappin' terms..

    pop : Ya smack them stringies down to tha fretboard makin' 'em make them "Powp"-sound.

    pull : Ya pull them stringies up, and release 'em so that they smack down on tha fretboard, makin' 'em make them "ptjieng"-sound.

    har har har !! :D