1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass--The Tool of Ignorance

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 0scar, Apr 30, 2006.

1. 0scar

0scar

Jul 11, 2003
    ...say the ignorant tools, you know, the ones who failed at electric guitar and thought bass would be an easy ride ;)

2. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I can't see this lasting long.

But, I thought bass was easier cause it had 4-string, then did research and found out it was harder.
    Then I was debating on a guitar until I actually read a Mark Hoppus quote (Weird, I hate them) But, it said...

"I love how the bass shakes the **** out of the room, and you can still feel it days later."

So...I got my first bass! and i've been shaking rooms left and right!

-mark

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    For me, it was the sound and the feel. I didn't pick up my first guitar until long after I'd been playing bass.

4. 0scar

0scar

Jul 11, 2003
    I didn't expect it to last long, but ok.

Anyways, I just enjoyed my little play on words in response to Blackie Lawless' douchey quote. I laugh at my own jokes, sorry :p

5. 0scar

0scar

Jul 11, 2003
    My Father played bass and at 12, bass appealed to me much more than guitar...it was something new and different

6. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    When I was a complete ignoramus I thought bass would be easier cause you didnt need to know chords, and it only had four strings.

Then the more I learnt the more I realised its easier to play bass, but to be a good bassist is harder. You have to understand everything to a fundamental level, and know it well.

7. JKwo

JKwo

Jan 12, 2006
    Berklee
    To me, there's no contest as to what I preferred. When first starting out, I played both in the music store, and found that the guitar felt more like a toy when it was strapped on, and that I couldn't get any real meat or substance from the guitar without reaching for the effects.

With the bass on the other hand, it feels like a thick, solid instrument that I can really lay into, and I can get serious air moving with just the instrument plugged into an amp.

8. steve21

steve21 Banned

I played because A) Cliff Burton was just awesome at bass and B) My friend already played guitar, so if I played bass we could get a band started up with a drummer friend and another guitarist friend.

9. oldfclefer

oldfclefer low ended

May 5, 2005
    Southern Ohio
    I must be dumber'n sh!t

10. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Learning Bass is like learning Chess... or Golf...

You learn the basics pretty easy.. but mastering the instrument is the difficult part.

Plus with Bass, there's so much you can do, and still be doing the bassline... Especially with 2 amps and a pedal board :D :hyper:

11. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    +1

I took up the bass in '73. I never played guitar and never had the desire to. It's all about the groove!

12. Bloodfist

Bloodfist

Mar 18, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    I did it backwards. I learned to play bass then guitar so I could better understand songwrighting. The thing that turned me onto bass was that it's just so powerfull looking compared to a guitar. Then I found I really loved the sound. Oh and I believe Blacky said it was a tool of stupidity. He was wrong, it's a tool of necessity.

13. Sherwood

Sherwood

Mar 17, 2006
    Beijing, PRC
    As has been commonly mentioned, I started playing bass because it seemed easier than learning chords, and it was. In all the years I've played bass, I can't say that I've ever really thought bass was harder than guitar, though it is very different. A guitar player can't simply pick up a bass and be a good bass player, but he can usually be a better bass player than the other way around. No need to have short man's syndrome about playing bass, but it most definitely is easier, at least to learn.

14. I played guitar for 5 years and switched to bass a year ago. The funny thing is, the bass came to me more naturally than guitar, and I am no slouch on guitar. It may sound like I am being egotistical, but for some reason, laying down a groove and keeping the rhythym with my drummer is like second nature to me. It is hard to explain, kinda like doing a double play in baseball, you don't think about it, you just do it.
    The cool thing is in my band, I teach my guitarist how to play songs he is not to sure about.

15. xxajr8xx

xxajr8xx

Aug 31, 2005
    westbrook,CT
    i have fought this many times so many ppl comeup to me saying how boring bass is and how easy and ive just learned to ignore tham jsut like youve said

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bassman314
    Learning Bass is like learning Chess... or Golf...

You learn the basics pretty easy.. but mastering the instrument is the difficult part.

they just dont know....

16. dangnewt

dangnewt Veteran Dispenser

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    People also use the phrase "Tools of Ignorance" to describe the equipment that baseball catchers wear. As a former catcher, I wore them proudly. They were/are a badge of honor.

On most baseball teams, the catcher is the most intelligent and level-headed member of the team. He is involved in every play and the smarter pitchers learn ot rely on their catchers to call the game.

Bassists are the catchers of the band.

Only a small, insecure person would use the term "tools of ignorance" and really mean it.

If anyone failed at both guitar and bass, I'd feel bad for them.

I was an mediocre guitarist who fell into bass in my 40's. I am a much better bassist than I ever was on guitar - not that one is inherently harder or easier but the bass came easier to me than guitar did. To me, the bass is more enjoyable - life is too short to play an instrument that you don't love.

17. Bass is easy to play, but hard to play well.

lowsound

18. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Phila,Pa.
    I decided on bass because I liked the fact that it was bigger than a guitar and it had fat strings that didn't require a pick to be played. Bass Rules!

19. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    Another thought...

Jaco was ignorant.

Yeah, that will hold up!

:eyebrow:

:rollno:

20. Ah yes, Bass.....the tool of ignorance!

Damn ignorant stupidy-stupid thing it is alrighty!!