Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass theory book.

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by M.D.S., Aug 19, 2005.

1. M.D.S.

M.D.S.

Nov 8, 2004
    Scotland
    Could anyone recommend a good basic theory book for bass? I'm in the rather irritating position of having a workable knowledge of bass clef music and theory... ...but only relating to cellos...

I played cello for 7 years before I started bass, all I really need is something with some basic bass-related theory and scales, so that I can start to apply my knowledge to the bass and stop trying to read music like I was playing a horizontal cello and stop reading G's as open lowest strings... :rolleyes:

I have tried searching this forum for books, but I ain't had much luck, and I ended up buying something that was more like a harmony textbook, and rather usless to me... :eyebrow:

I've been playing bass for two years and I really should have tried this some time ago, but lazyness has got the better of me...

Anyone got any suggestions?

(Also, could anyone tell me what you would call the 'Bottom' and 'Top' strings of a bass? Would the bottom string be the one that is lowest in pitch or the one that is physically at the bottom of the bass? Always wondered about that…)

2. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    This book is pretty good. I've been refering to it for years, and there's a whole series of them too, including: jazz, blues, slap, tap, heavy metal licks etc.

I would say, that if you have a good working knowledge of the theory of harmony, you might be more interested in bass playing technique.

Cello is a cool instrument. all the best.

[​IMG]

3. M.D.S.

M.D.S.

Nov 8, 2004
    Scotland
    Thanks! I'll have a look at that one ASAP :)

4. burntgorilla

burntgorilla

Jan 24, 2005
    Belfast