Bass through a guitar amp?!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bassline_Delux, Jan 11, 2004.

1. I've always thought that I just 'knew' that you shouldn't play a bass through a guitar amp. I mentioned it to my guitar player and he never even heard of the concept...Could you tell me if I'm completly wrong , or if I'm right some techinical information or evidence or somehtign would be helpful..
  2. yes u can use a guitar amp and get a good result.
    make sure it´s a valve amp and the results will be better.
    make sure it´s a vintage amp and it will almost always be good(if you´re into dirtier tones)
    u wont get deep bass but can get fat sounding high bass/low-mids witch can be pretty mean too.
    some ex.(all valve):marshall superlead
    jcm 800 (single channel)ampeg V2, V4, laney klipp 50/100,
    any orange amp u can find, good luck
  3. Guitar speakers on the other hand might not hold up too well with loud low bass frequencies.
  4. Ya, I'm sorry, thats what I meant..Terribly sorry. I'm sure the amp would be fine..I meant the speakers..Guitar speakers are different to bass speakers, right?
  5. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD

Guitar Amp
  6. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    The 0x, your equation is incorrect. :)

Bass + Guitar Speakers = Not Good

Bass + Guitar Amp = Fine

Bass through guitar speakers might be okay at low bedroom volumes, but any louder than that and you may run into problems. I wouldn't recommend risking it. :)

Some bassists split the frequency range of their basses between two cabinets, using bass cabinets for the lows and guitar cabinets for the highs, which is also fine.
  7. Does this mean one can take a guitar head and use it with bass cabinets without any problems? :confused:
  8. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Pretty sure you can. Though it may not sound very good.

I plugged my old guitar head into one of my bass cabinets and played bass through it a few times, worked fine. :)
  9. someone i use to play with sometimes uses bassamps+cabs for his guitar because he wants it FAT. but thats another story...:rolleyes:
  10. I got cool sound using my old Carvin 100 watt tube combo through an old Acoustic 18" cabinet. I would disconnect the speaker on the combop of course. I've actually been thinking about switching out the guitar speaker with a bass speaker of the same size to use as a prctice amp until I can afford the amp I want. I've been fortunate that bands we've played with so far have let me play through their bass rigs.
  11. Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    I used a Peavey Mark III head and a Peavey 4x12 guitar cabinet with bass for a few months (bedroom volume). It didn't seem to do any damage and sounded OK. BUT, when shopping for the 4x12s I found a set that were ruined by bass through guitar speakers. It rattled and sounded like crap.

Speaking of guitar through bass equipment, the guitar player used the Mark III head with the 4x12s for over a year! He wasn't too happy with the sound so he recently upgraded to a Peavey 5150. Of course, there's a huge difference in the highs.
  12. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    I wouldn't say that it can't work...after all, doesn't Steve Harris use Marshall 4x12s loaded with EVM 12L guitar speakers? Dusty Hill has done the same thing on ZZ Top tours.

Chris Squire's early 70s tone came from a Sunn Coliseum Lead amp and 6x12 guitar cabinets.

If you keep the low end boost in check, stay with a 4 string and lots of guitar speakers in sealed cabinets (certainly no open back stuff at high volumes) you should be OK.
  13. i was once rehearsing with another bands equipment but couldn´t get the sound i wanted from the bass rig(hartke with some 410+115) then i tried an old beaten VOX solid-state git. amp with a 6x 10 git. cab and all i needed to do was to turn up the volume!
    clean, clear and and still warm and dirty when played hard
    so dont be afraid to try things out
    i got great sounds from an orange 15W class A combo (in a store thou)
  14. I think in this ampeg book i was reading, the stones used svt's for everything (guitar and bass) for a few of their tours in the 60's and early 70's.

My only question is can (i mean to say should) you play bass through old or new fender bassman's? And does it sound good? I mean it seems like people always talk about how its such an awesome guitar amp. And the cabinets seem to be underpowered for bass guitar compared to other brands. Even these days when i see fender ads, i wonder what the deal is.
  15. I think using a guitar head is fine as long as the cabinet your using is geared toward bass frequencies. My band is currently recording and the best sound I have found so far is running my bass through a guitar pod using the Vox AC130 setting totally clean.
  16. Not to mention Ryan Martinie on the latest album. He played through an SWR combo amp into a Mesa Boogie 412 cabinet to aquire his mid tone.
  17. i´ve used bassman100s with a 2x15 cab and i think it sounded like crap, no bass and no definition and it didn´t sound any better with guitar.
    but when i put the amp through some 4x10+4x12 speakers it sounded really good. it´s really a good amp that works for eather bass and git. but those old cabs should be burned and forgotten all´bout:D (but they are nice to look at)