Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Through a Guitar Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Head Creep, Nov 13, 2004.

1. Head Creep

Head Creep

Nov 6, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I just got my first bass, but since I ordered my amp online (and the shipping's taking quite awhile, something I need to call about), I had nothing to play on. So, I figured that I'd try it out with my old guitar amp, a Crate G15XL from a guitar setup which my parents got completely ripped off for two years ago and gave me as a gift. Now I don't know if I'll be using that bass amp much when it gets here... with the Crate, I can bring the volume up to 11 and get some nice, fun distortion. But using the built-in distortion switch on the amp, it makes Zeppelin's Dazed and Confused really fun to play. And the speaker is holding up very well, no signs of damage when I turn the volume down and eliminate the distortion. Very nice little experiment of mine, makes me (almost) glad Sam Ash is taking their sweet time getting the amp over to me.

2. JetJazz

JetJazz

Sep 9, 2004
    Houston
    Jeff Berlin ran his bass through a guitar amp on his latest CD, Lumpy Jazz, to great effect. I think he used it on all tracks.

JetJazz

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    the big problem with using a guitar amp is the speaker. If you're not careful you'll damage it. I tcan sound awesome, but don't expect to get any real volume out of it without getting dangerously close to breaking the speaker.