Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bass through a guitar amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cwbassist, Aug 28, 2003.

1. cwbassist

cwbassist

Aug 23, 2003
    illiniois
    I was just curious bout you guy's opinions on using a guitar amp for your basses, I don't know if there were any topics on this already but I don't care, the reason I'm asking is that yesterday I played through a guitar amp and I loved it

2. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    its fine for practicing (mainly by yourself, i wouldn't push it hard), but will not cut it in a gig situation, bass is really hard on guitar amps, their not really made to handle the low frequencies.

3. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    Yea I've done that with a Fender Showman a buddy of mine has, it sounds just fabulous. Can't play real loud though and active pups can be a little hard on them, but when we jam at low volume, the bass has great tone. We've used it for recording and its very flavorful, you really hear the tone of your particular instrument.

4. TRIPSTER

TRIPSTER

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    I have run just the hi-mids on up through a Marshall 100W head and a 412. It was really cool. I had a SVT running the lows though. It was fun. Too much fun. And loud. WHAT?!?!:)

5. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    from what i've heard, people used to play bass through those old fender bassman amps... they are guitar amps. :p :cool:

6. ERMAL

ERMAL

Jun 20, 2003
    San Antonio, TX
    The Fender Bassman was originally made for bass. Guitar players tried them and they sounded so good they adopted them as guitar amps.

7. cwbassist

cwbassist

Aug 23, 2003
    illiniois
    I was thinking of getting a 2x12 guitar combo, and then adding a 115 cab would this be a good Idea? either that or using a half stack with a 115 cab and the 2x12 combo at the same time

8. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    i was kidding smartypants... :rolleyes: :spit:

9. You'll probably fry the guitar speakers pretty quickly. They just don't have the excursion and power capability needed for bass. Even if you think you're not pushing them hard, they're being stressed too hard.

Buy a bass cab and be done with it. It'll be cheaper in the long run.

10. cwbassist

cwbassist

Aug 23, 2003
    illiniois

thanks, I'll probably get gear just for bass