1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass Through Fender 212R

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sandu, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Sandu

Sandu

Oct 23, 2007
    Bucharest, Romania
    I'm shopping for a combo for home and band practice when we find our own space, and on the used market there currently 2 options: a Fender Rumble 100-115 and a 100-210. I've had experiences with both rumble's and I currently prefer the 210, because it sounds more focused to me, with a more percussive character and harder attack, as opposed to the warm and fluffy, albeit deeper 115. However, I was thinking of taking the 2 speaker setup a little further.

I'm also in the market for some distortion and reverb, and that's why a Fender Frontman 212R also caught my eye. I remember from a few years back, when I played guitar, the clean and distorted channels on this one, and they sounded quite nice. We still have one at band practice, and it's quite potent. So I really have to ask:

1. How will it behave if I just plug in and play? Where would the problems be? Is there any lo cut in the preamp/power amp stage? Will I blow the speakers if I crank up the volume to rehearsal/small gig level (2 guitars, vocals, crazy drummer)?

2. If the amp cand handle the low freqs, can I stick a couple of 12" bass speakers in it?

3. Will it be as loud as the 210 Rumble with the 12" speakers?

I really wanna know if there's any risk of damaging it 'cause next week I'm gonna plug the bass in the 212R we have at practice, and see how the distortion and eq perform.

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    You will destroy the 212R's speakers in no time. Use a bass amp for a bass.