1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass through pc?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bluesman4, Oct 20, 2006.

1. bluesman4

bluesman4

Aug 2, 2006
    hello , this may sound odd .But I'd really like to find something that will let me play my bass into my pc and mix into a mp3 that I"m playing to and play both the song and my own bass playing back into a set of head phones. Is there such a thing on the market? I am hopeing if something exists that its inexpensive. The reason for this setup is so I can play all night without bothering everyone as I work midnights and I"m up all night with the weekends. :meh:

2. I know it is not mp3's and PC's, but if you can work with CD's, Tascam has a new product. It is the CD-BT1 Mk. II. It does precisely what you are asking, but uses CD's for the source. It also has effects, a built in tuner AND the ability to slow down a tough riff by up to 50% AND still stay in the proper key!!!
    Oh yeah, I love mine.

3. chasfr

chasfr

Jan 4, 2005
    On the Macintosh side of the computing world, I do what you're describing with GarageBand and iTunes. Monster makes a $20 adapter that lets me plug directly into my laptop. Works great. GarageBand also has a varirty of drum loops you can play along with.

Chas

4. AGCurry

AGCurry Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2005
    St. Louis
    People have been doing this for years. You need a PC with a soundcard, some recording software, a DI box or preamp, and the requisite cables.

5. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    If you only want it for playback (say, for practicing purposes), the far cheaper way is to get a small, inexpensive mixer. Send your bass and the output of your PC to the mixer, and listen to the headphone out.

Going out instead of in might be easier! You can get a small Behringer on eBay for probably less than $50.

6. anechoic

anechoic

Oct 31, 2005
    Shirley, MA
    Actually, Musician's Friend has one that would be perfect for $40 + shipping:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-Eurorack-UB802-Mixer?sku=631238

7. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas Commercial User

Aug 16, 2005
    Dallas, north Texas
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
    Maybe I'm not following this, but what about buying a 1/8" adapter to plug the bass directly into the "line in" of the soundcard and using the Windows mixer?

8. JNBlack

JNBlack

Dec 5, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    This is definitely of interest to me. I work til midinight through the week and am unable to practice w/o receiving a visit from the boys in blue.

So, with one of those small mixers I could plug my bass into it, as well as my iPod (using RCA-to-miniJack), and listen through the headphones?