Bass thru a Guitar preamp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jammadave, Jul 6, 2004.

1. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    This isn't something I really plan on doing, but I wanted to find out anyways...

Long time ago I played Geetar exclusively. I had a Hafler Hellrazor preamp that was my second favorite sound ever, next to a Boogie Mark III anyways... Mmm Mmm good.

Nowadays I'm 95% bass and am trying to save up for an Ashdown tube head.

But since I still noodle on guitar from time to time I thought of this:

Would a bass, running thru a multichannel tube preamp for guitar, and then to a poweramp and all that jazz, sound or perform as well as your average bass head?
  2. Sure, though most guitar Pre's are voiced for guitar (ie: have a big overdrive channel, or equalization that is specific to guitar). You might not be able to crank the low end, depending on the preamp, and normally the overdrive channel is bypass-able.

People use ADA MP-1's, Mesa Triaxis', and SansAmp PSA-1's quite a bit on bass.
  3. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Thanks for the insight - although I totally forgot to mention that I'd actually want to use the various gain channels as well for bass, albeit definitely not as often as I would with guitar. Example on a 3 channel pre, typically clean/crunch/lead, I'd use all 3 with bass at some point.

Then again, the bass head I really want has a switchable tube drive anyway...

4. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I've read about a good deal of bassists who used guitar pre's or complete stacks to add some high-end "crunch" to their traditional bass rigs. King X's Doug Pinnick and the bassist from Nickleback jump to mind. Check out TB's own Toysa from Clatter who runs a Mesa rig for her distortion/high-end. I envy her top-end. Wait, that come out totally wrong. :D

I've work the same general idea into "my sound" using my SWR Mini Mo', and it certainly works to help in that area, although you can't program different levels of distortion unless you were to run multiples.

Mmmm, multiple Mini Mo's. :help:

Edit: actually, now that I think of it, you can. You could always have your standard clean sound, your "overdrive" sound, and add the Mo' EQ to punch that up to a lead overdriven tone.
  5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    some guitar preamps can sound fabulous with bass - just think, the alembic preamp is the fender showman circut.........
    as long as you are using speakers designed for the bass (guitar speakers usually end up being blown pretty fast) anthing goes
  6. Tosya

Oct 11, 2002

Go for it with the guitar preamp! It might give you your own unique sound!