Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass thru home stereo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rick Martin, Dec 6, 2000.

1. I got the necessary patch cord from Radio Shack and plugged my bass into the CD/Aux jacks on my stereo receiver and it sounds real nice through my little old bookshelf speakers. It looks like I have a nice practice amp with this set up. I suppose the bass could be rough on the little stereo speakers and any real volume could damage them, but I'm just practicing in the living room and jamming with CD's at low volume. Is this a good idea or am I going to learn about the fragility of home stereo speakers?

2. I tried it through my stereo with a 4 track recorder a few years ago and it blew both the tweeters in my new Tannoy monitors.
    I was told it was because of lack of any compression on the instruments and the warranty was void.

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I also used my 4-track to patch my bass into my stereo with a dual RCA cord running from the Monitor Out to the stereo Aux jack. I've had no problems with it so far, but I have kept it at a reasonable volume. If you're using the stereo as a monitor, be sure to set any EQ to flat and take off any bass boost so you don't color the sound (unless that's what you want).

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    As long as you keep the volume reasonable you should be fine. If it sounds like you're getting a cool fuzz sound...without a pedal;)...lighten up.

Spike, you told Tannoy you played a bass through them?

5. the wizard

the wizard

Oct 10, 2000
    Sweden
    I play through the stereo sometimes, with the volume on the bass about halfway. Sounds better than my ****ty little Peavey TKO 80 practice amp!

6. Al Steen

Al Steen

Feb 1, 2000
    We put the whole band through the "Stereo" at the studio sometimes. Even though it's like 1000 watts a side into these gigantic Teak Altec towers it still blows my mind how good it sounds. We did hafta get the woofers reconed once though :( .. Al mp3.com/badart

7. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I'm pretty sure my uncle does this. However he has like 5 of these nice speakers + 2000watts in subwoofer. I like his setup. I don't do it cause my stereo is a boombox & can't do it. thats all

8. phil_chew

phil_chew

Mar 22, 2000
    Asia
    My bass signal goes through my Sans Amp DI box, which goes to the XLR input of my Mackie 1202 mixer. From there it is patched to the Aux of my stereo amplifier. Sounds pretty good to me.

9. I run a line mixer straight into the (aux) input of a 40 watt per side home stereo. I have good 15" three way speakers. So it realy depends how loud you play, instrument speakers are made with some built in distortion. HI Fi speakers will die with just a little distortion keep the level as low as you would use to listen to music and you won't have any problems.