Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass time management.

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by 6-stringjazz, Aug 1, 2001.

1. 6-stringjazz

6-stringjazz

Jun 1, 2001
    Abq NM
    Who do I manage time between up-right and electric bass?? any help?

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    uh...which do you play more? which instrument are you the more profficient on? which instrument's gigs pay the most? which do you enjoy the most?

you're going to have to figure this one out for yourself. you could probably work up a practice regimen that incorporates both instruments. i would find an instructor who doubled who could help you with this.

3. 6-stringjazz

6-stringjazz

Jun 1, 2001
    Abq NM
    Well, I enjoy electric more, I have more gigs that are electric but have been asked to use up-right. I just feel like I am starting all over again with that thing, I am moving along at a progressive rate on electric, most of the gigs I play are jazz, so my friends really bug me about it, I don't know, Thanks for the response!!!

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, first off, i would also like to add, to reiterate, to emphasize - GET A GOOD UPRIGHT INSTRUCTOR. :D

i would imagine that working on you double bass playing and technique will help you a great deal on electric, especially in the hand strength, stamina, and ear-training departments.

you could always just totally dedicate yourself to DB for a brief period of time, total immersion for a while, with a teacher and a strict practice regimen. the BG will always be there afterwards ;)

5. dhosek

dhosek

May 25, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    DB practice will improve your BG playing.

BG practice will do little or nothing for your DB playing.

You do the math.

-dh

6. I'm a doubler too so practise the one you gig the least on. Belive me this changes back and forth a lot. I'm being asked to play tuba also in addition my seven string and the double bass.

7. I agree with John Turner and dhosek that developing your DB playing will definitely pay dividends with your BG playing.

The different attack and decay properties of the plucked DB note can really change where you are in the beat vs. the attack and decay of a plucked BG note. Being aware of this difference and developing your abililty to control where you are in the beat will have a dramatic impact on your sense of "time."

Basically, if you play jazz gigs, you should at least have some level of facility on the DB. I picked up the DB for jazz about 18 months ago (I have a classical background with some jazz BG experience). You wouldn't believe how much people (who had already heard a lot of me on BG) took notice and started to call me for gigs. It's very worth your time.