Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass to be

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Skorzen, Apr 8, 2002.

1. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    I am planning on building a bass and was wondering what opinions were of these combinations of wood you all had. Here is my idea Bubinga front(I have a piece with nice figuring) Walnut on the back and the neck i am still looking at. I was thinking five piece Padauk with Maple laminations. what are your opinions on this? I looked at Warmoth's site and they said that Padauk was simmilar to Maple and was great to play on.
    I am just looking for opions on this set up as far as woods go I am in the formulating process now but would like to start work on this project soon. Oh I am planning on using a rosewood fret board. Does any one know where I can get a preslotted 35" scale fret board? Thanks for your help.

-Skorzen

2. dhuffguitars

dhuffguitars Luthier/Bass Wanker depending on your opinion

Sep 18, 2001
    SPOKANE WA
  3. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    I checked StewMac and they only have a 34" scale board.

dhuff
    I will send you an email tomarrow for more information.

Thanks for the replies.

4. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    LMI (Luthier's Mercantile) or Randy Allen (Allen Guitars) will both do slotted fingerboards.

I used to use LMI for all my boards. They are of good quality and the slotting service is good. I had Randy do a batch of East Indian rosewood boards for me and his slotting was spot-on as well.