Bass to be

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Skorzen, Apr 8, 2002.

1. Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    I am planning on building a bass and was wondering what opinions were of these combinations of wood you all had. Here is my idea Bubinga front(I have a piece with nice figuring) Walnut on the back and the neck i am still looking at. I was thinking five piece Padauk with Maple laminations. what are your opinions on this? I looked at Warmoth's site and they said that Padauk was simmilar to Maple and was great to play on.
    I am just looking for opions on this set up as far as woods go I am in the formulating process now but would like to start work on this project soon. Oh I am planning on using a rosewood fret board. Does any one know where I can get a preslotted 35" scale fret board? Thanks for your help.

2. dhuffguitars

dhuffguitars Luthier/Bass Wanker depending on your opinion

Sep 18, 2001
  3. Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    I checked StewMac and they only have a 34" scale board.

I will send you an email tomarrow for more information.

Thanks for the replies.
  4. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    LMI (Luthier's Mercantile) or Randy Allen (Allen Guitars) will both do slotted fingerboards.

I used to use LMI for all my boards. They are of good quality and the slotting service is good. I had Randy do a batch of East Indian rosewood boards for me and his slotting was spot-on as well.