Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bass to complement stingray

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Musicfreak1988, Apr 9, 2005.

1. Musicfreak1988

Musicfreak1988

Feb 2, 2005
    Belgium
    I've got a SR4. It's a good bass, but I'm now looking for something to complement the Stingray. Please mind that I'm a lefthanded player and that I'm living in (ripoff) Europe. I play almost every style, but finding the SR some sort of aggressive, I'm looking for a warm, 'soft' tone. I've been looking for a Fender Am.Dlx.J-bass, an Am.Std.P-bass, a MIM J-bass, a Yamaha TRB1005, a Yamaha BB614, etc... The budget is about 800 to 1200 euros. Thanks for the advise. Sam.

2. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Sterling.

3. you could try a G&L or Musicman sterling.
    I play a stingray myself, and I'm planning on buying a sterling or stingray 5 this summer (I play mainly progressive metal and rock).
    btw: it truly is a shame that musicman's are so expensive in Belgium :crying:

4. I think you're definately looking for a Fender Jazz. American or American Deluxe, both great basses.

5. RunngDog

RunngDog

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I'd agree -- if you're looking for something to complement the SR4, you'll really get a completely different tone palette with a Jazz. And if I were you, I'd look for a passive one.

6. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I've got a sterling and i've got a bongo and the bongo gave me everthing i ever wanted in any bass (and then some) all in one bass. And I was able to hold onto the MM feel and still have that sound there if I want it. I can get burpy, funky, dubby, mellow, cutting, growly, thumpy, jaco-ey - you name it.

Just ordered a 5 string with the additonal piezo. That's going to give me 4 bands of EQ plus a piezo and blend knob for a humbucker and single coil pickup. I don't believe any bass is going to be able to beat this one for versatility. I cannot wait. :crying: