1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

bass to complement stingray

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Musicfreak1988, Apr 9, 2005.

1. Musicfreak1988

Musicfreak1988

Feb 2, 2005
    Belgium
    I've got a SR4. It's a good bass, but I'm now looking for something to complement the Stingray. Please mind that I'm a lefthanded player and that I'm living in (ripoff) Europe. I play almost every style, but finding the SR some sort of aggressive, I'm looking for a warm, 'soft' tone. I've been looking for a Fender Am.Dlx.J-bass, an Am.Std.P-bass, a MIM J-bass, a Yamaha TRB1005, a Yamaha BB614, etc... The budget is about 800 to 1200 euros. Thanks for the advise. Sam.

2. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Sterling.

3. you could try a G&L or Musicman sterling.
    I play a stingray myself, and I'm planning on buying a sterling or stingray 5 this summer (I play mainly progressive metal and rock).
    btw: it truly is a shame that musicman's are so expensive in Belgium :crying:

4. I think you're definately looking for a Fender Jazz. American or American Deluxe, both great basses.

5. RunngDog

RunngDog

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I'd agree -- if you're looking for something to complement the SR4, you'll really get a completely different tone palette with a Jazz. And if I were you, I'd look for a passive one.

6. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I've got a sterling and i've got a bongo and the bongo gave me everthing i ever wanted in any bass (and then some) all in one bass. And I was able to hold onto the MM feel and still have that sound there if I want it. I can get burpy, funky, dubby, mellow, cutting, growly, thumpy, jaco-ey - you name it.

Just ordered a 5 string with the additonal piezo. That's going to give me 4 bands of EQ plus a piezo and blend knob for a humbucker and single coil pickup. I don't believe any bass is going to be able to beat this one for versatility. I cannot wait. :crying: