1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

bass to compressor to power amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Johnny Mack, Mar 23, 2010.

1. ive never used a rack set up and no nothing about levels and such other than i need to turn an instrument level into a line level. im acquiring a stereo power amp and do not have a preamp. i would like to run straight to a presonus bluemax smart compressor (to boost level) into a samson f800 amp.

the comps output impedance is 51 ohms. the unit also has a -10dB / +4dB function.

the amps input sensitivity is +0dbm +/- 1dbm

ive read this: http://www.ovnilab.com/articles/preamp.shtml#power
    which talks about dbu, not dbm. this article as well as the rest of the site is very informative, but i can not determine if this will be a decent set up as i can not find any other information on the two pieces of equipment in question.

thanks.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    you won't get any control over your tone, and you may not have enough signal from your bass to drive a power amp. not recommended.

3. you'd do best to have an eq somewhere in there. and if i where you, just for some extra tone shaping get a decent effects processor.

4. try: bass - D.I./Pre - Comp - Amp.

First you have to use a pre to boost the instrument level to line level in order to use a comp that works at line level. After that the amp will be pleased to accept line level that comes out of the comp.

5. Rick Robins

Rick Robins

Jan 13, 2010
    Las Vegas, NV
    I did this for a while once & I learned alot. My bass at the time was a 5 string with an active pre amp with middle & bridge position pick ups. I went into a Comp pedal then straight to an old Peavey CS 400 to a Ampeg 4 x 10 and a 1 x 15. This set up had a nice round warm tone but I lacked gain, so I added an EQ pedal with boost. I don't know if it would work so well with passive pickups though?

My main rig before this was made up of a Ashly Bp 41 & a ART Nightbass to a Crown PB 1 stereo, same cabs. The ART was to the 10's & the Ashly to the 15. What I found after years of knob turning was the Crown was a very cold amp not suitable for bass guitar, the PV on the other hand was. Also I started with way to much junk before being sure I was happy with the basic components.

So I think you are on the right track. Bass to power to cab. Be sure you are happy with the first 3 main components of your sound before adding more. If you like this add something like a Tech 21 DI & start to color things then the compressor.

6. thanks all. im not worried about adjusting gain as the comp has input and output gain plus the +4dbm boost. and im not really worried about the eq as i dont use it much. i would like to eventually have a pre with an eq and comp in it (1 rack space) to keep it consolidated. the bass to comp to amp is more or less a temporary setup.

7. it sounds like it will be ok with the compressor you are using. You may not get as much volume as you could out of the rig but I don't see it hurting anything/anyone

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 27, 2020