1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass to guitar ?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Cubeface, Nov 29, 2006.

1. Cubeface

Cubeface

Apr 9, 2006
    I've heard a lot of people who started with the guitar, then eventually tryed a bass and loved it. And started playing bass from there.
    Has anyone done the opposite? Has anyone started with the bass then became a guitar player after beeing a bass player?

thanks

2. **raises hand**

not that i am a "guitar player" now but i play guitar and love it(same goes with ukulele!), but I'm still a bassist at heart

3. anomalee

anomalee

Dec 16, 2005
    London, KY
    I started out on drums, went to bass, then to guitar. Now im a bassist first, but still play the others. i also picked up piano, singing, and a little sax on the way.

4. My first instrument was a guitar, i never really felt anything for it in all honesty, i had always wanted to be a bass player, just soo much more damned authoritive! So i bought my first bass not too long after the first guitar, and played bass solely for a good 3-4 years.

Late last year i picked up a cheap epi SG and started playing guitar again, then quickly got sick of my peavey 15 watt SS combo, got a Peavey classic 30 (30 watt all valve), which an amazing wee amp! and now ive got a 100 watt (all valve) trace elliot speed twin going into a peavey 4x12, and have also upped to having a better SG and a telecaster copy :D

Bass is still my primary instrument tho. But i do like playing guitar alot!

5. 69nites

69nites

Jul 11, 2006
    Chicago
    I started on bass

I now play bass, drums, guitar, and am learning violin (in the order of learning)

6. jsbass

jsbass

Sep 3, 2006
    WI
    I'm thinking of picking up guitar as for something fun to fool around with.. just a cheap acoustic or something.

7. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I started on guitar and went to bass. I love playing bass but I just bought a new Fender Telecaster Deluxe and I can't put it down. It will be short lived though. I'm having an "affair" so to speak. My true love is for the low end.

I will always be a bass player first, a drummer second, and a guitarist when I have to be.

8. Mmmmm, telecasters are worth having affairs with! I bought one on a bit of an urge, thankfully it was a cheapo, but for a £60 guitar, youd never know, the sound is amazing! and its soo easily playable, i think im starting to like it much more than my more expensive SG :bag:
    DSC00651.

9. I played a friends guitar for a month, then swapped to bass then about a year later got a guitar again.

I've had the guitar for about 15 years and still can't play anything on it becasue everytime I practice after ten minutes I'm pining to play bass :D

10. i started bass before guitar, i play mostly bass, but i do mess around on the guitar every once and a while.

11. lawsonman

lawsonman

Dec 19, 2005
    NW IL
    I played bass for 24 years and then in the mid 80's I was putting together a group and we wanted srong vocals.Couldn't find a guitar player that fit the bill but I knew another bass player that was a good singer so I switched to guitar and played for 2 years.It really didn't take me long to get bored with it though.

12. ed khalimba

ed khalimba platinum member

Dec 24, 2005
    not that i would say i'm a guitar player, but learning to play guitar after 10 years of bass does wonders for writing bass lines

13. I just picked up guitar a few months ago, it's great. It's amazing what lessons can do, I'm a self taught bassist and looking back I wasted alot of time.