1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass to heavy

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EmilyH, Jan 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. EmilyH

EmilyH

Dec 29, 2016
    Florida
    I recently posted about being new to bass playing. I've got 2 basses - a short scale Jay Turser and a Squier Jaguar bass (not short scale). The short scale is of course much lighter than the Squier but the short scale doesn't sound as good as the Squier. Bottom line is I am struggling to find a bass that is light enough but sounds good. My neck is hurting from the weight of the Squier.

Any suggestions on light weight basses that sound good?

Thanks.

Emily

Remyd likes this.
  2. Christine

Christine Guest

Aug 3, 2016
    How about an Epiphone classic VI pro thunderbird?

3. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Montreal, QC
    G&L with the empress body wood option. They'll all be considerably lighter than almost any other bass, but they're also considerably more expensive than the ones you have.

If you're open to buying new, Sweetwater lists the weights of all their basses online. No matter what you choose, try to keep it under 9 lbs. That's my cutoff for weight, but I'm also 42 years old with some lower back problems.

jebmd, TinIndian, seang15 and 5 others like this.
  4. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    How heavy is the Squier? Is it really that bad? You say you're a beginner so your muscles are all getting used to holding and playing a bass. Maybe give it some time. Do some push ups. Really, you'll be more comfortable.

5. wilder

wilder

Apr 21, 2004
    Denton, TX.
    In the lower priced ranges look for an Agathis body or use Sweetwater as suggested. P-Basses will be lighter than offsets like the jag or jazz because there is less body wood. For $700 or less you can get a used Fender Road Worn precision and they are generally very light. My main gig bass is a Road Worn P and is under 8lbs.

Edited to add that hollow body basses are all usually quite light as well.

6. If you like the sound of your Squier you might try getting a thicker strap to distribute the weight more evenly... bring your bass to your local shop and see if it helps ... at least you didn't buy a peavey T40... my back hurts just thinking about it

7. Icemanaroonie

Icemanaroonie

Sep 6, 2015
    Delaware
    Make yourself stronger, don't make the bass lighter.

ColdEye, jaybones, pedroims and 19 others like this.
  8. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

I think they only list weights on basses that are $250 and up (or something like that), IIRC.

9. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    You can always try semi-hollow or hollow-body basses...if you're talking about buying another bass. 2u3v7fl.
    Short scale, semi-hollow...feels and sounds like a quality bass. One of the few short-scales I enjoyed playing.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
    Pdaddy1978, seang15, mpdd and 4 others like this.
  10. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    This, Emily...

11. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Those actually look pretty cool...

jd56hawk likes this.
  12. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Did you just start playing? Just like wearing a watch... after awhile, you won't even know it's there...

... unless you have it cranked to '11', and are on the 4th hour of a never ending jam...

Good luck, and Happy New Year, Emily!

fourstringgirl, EmilyH and MEKer like this.
  13. Try a Mono Betty strap....

bholder, WaldoNova and JGbassman like this.
  14. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    This guy seems to like it.
    ny77kz.

15. DD Gunz

DD Gunz

Jun 18, 2015
    California
    Agreed, I have a RWP that comes in at 7lbs even.

EmilyH likes this.
  16. Andyman001

Andyman001 moderation must be taken with a grain of salt

Feb 11, 2010
    Idaho
    if it turns to really about the weight, Ibenez Soundgear basses are pretty light.
    My Dingwaall ABZ is also pretty light, (but a lot moar spensive)

17. As a beginner, your pain most likely comes from bad posture and bad strap. A good strap is wide (not like the cheapo you get for free with the bass). Get yourself a 4in wide strap with cushioning (neoprene or other).
    The posture takes longer to fix. If you take lessons, a good teacher should teach you posture first. There many online lessons that will show and teach you good posture (Tony Grey helped me). Play in front of the mirror or film yourself and correct. Be conscious of your body and tension points. After a few months, you should be painless. Note that once you correct your posture, you may notice pain elsewhere (like wrists). Again, pain indicates bad position (unless you have arthritis) and can be corrected.

18. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    Hi Em,

You should consider any of the Ibanez SR series. They are lightweight and sound good.

I came from 11+ lbs 6 string bass player and now enjoying my 8 lb 6 oz 6 string fretted and 7 lb 4.4 oz 5 string fretless SR basses.

I'm currently using Gruv Gear 4.0" SoloStrap Neo and also I have their DuoStrap Neo which are very good for distributing weight of heavy basses.

Bassdirty, Hues and wintremute like this.
  19. 4dog

4dog

Aug 18, 2012
    Another vote for ibanez

BurnOut and Hues like this.
  20. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    Over the years, I've come to the conclusion that a bass can be fairly heavy and still feel comfortable; it's the neck dive that can destroy me/ wear me out by the end of a gig. I have since replaced all my tuners with ultralites and even the heaviest of my basses are a breeze to play, if the strap is wide enough.