Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass to loud for Bass Balls

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by flea2010, Dec 8, 2004.

1. Hi,

I just got my bass-balls and I think it only sounds good when the volume-level of my bass is not on full blast.
    The problem is, that I normaly put the bass like this, so I don't have to wonder if it has the right volume (I adjust that on the amp only)

May the bass balls sound different with a passive bass (I have an active one)?

Thank you for any comments,
    F.

2. Heckxx

Heckxx

Nov 2, 2004
    Libertyville, IL
    Yes, active versus passive will definitely affect the way many pedals change your sound. Generally speaking, passive signals are much weaker and lower in power/volume then active signals.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I got rid of my Bassballs because I had to sell all my basses except my Stingray. Bassballs and active basses aren't the best sounding mix out there IMO.

4. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    In my experience, most EH pedals have an affinity for passive basses. They seem to trigger, track, and sound better with passive basses than with active.

5. thank you for your answers

Is there another envelope filter/auto wah, which may sound better with an active bass (it's a mm sterling in my case)?

a friend of mines sells the ebs bass IQ ...

6. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    I have to same problem with my Ibanez SB7... my L-2000 overloads the pedal. If I were to add an effect loop pedal with a pre-loop volume control, do you think it would solve the problem? I could still have my bass at full volume as I'd want it for clean playing, and if I wanted to kick in the envelope filter, I wouldn't have to screw around with trying to find the right volume level mid-song. Any theories/experiences?