1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass tone - Asian Kung Fu Generation

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Minger, Apr 3, 2006.

1. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Not sure if this should go here or the recording section, but...

I was wondering how to achieve that kind of tone. Heavy and kinda gritty at the same time...I like.

I realize he's playing with a pick and I'm pretty sure its favoring the neck pup...anybody got suggestions? I've got 2 different Ibanezes...

2. i think the majority of that tone comes from (no order)
    1.) pick
    2.) overdriven amp (or overdrive pedal)
    3.) bright strings

3. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Alrite, I figured there was some overdrive somewhere in there.

Thanks...

4. I was just playing that video and my sister (who is an anime freak) was like "OMG you're watching Naruto!" and I was like "?" and she was like "that's the Naruto theme song." and I was like "?" and she was like "Naruto is my favorite anime show!" and I was like ":scowl::rollno:" and then she started singing along. Then I passed out. That's all I remember.

5. you have two heads?

6. And there you have it!

I used to cop that tone quite well with my Rickenbacker 4003. No overdrive needed, just every knob cranked up.

And Alex, that was the theme song for season 2 of Naruto in Japan.

AKFG is a pretty cool band, though if I were to close my eyes, I'd say they sounded pretty much like most western pop-punk acts, and I'm in no mean cutting those guys down. I'm a fan.

7. Yes

8. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Regardless, its great stuff. Man, I need to learn Japanese - all I know is Mandarin, Taiwanese, German, and English - I needa learn Japanese...right now I've picked up a few things...

Mein = noodles
    Ramen = instant noodles
    Baka = idiot.

Great times...new naruto ep up tonight hopefully...end of fillers? :p

Oh well, time to see if I can find my cheap overdrive pedal and see what I can do with the tone...

9. Actually, that's the silly western view.

Ramen is actually a type of egg noodle, if that makes any sense to anyone else. I don't speak Japanese, but I know that much. :p

Also...
    Gohan = rice
    Chahan = fried rice
    Daijobu = it's ok.

I don't know why I just listed those...

10. That's ALL you know? Pfft... /sarcasm

I haven't been keeping up with the fillers... I watched other shows in the mean time ^_^;

11. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I should rephrase that:
    I can kind of speak mandarin, can understand it pretty well.
    Taiwanese...speaking it is really poor, but I can understand it ok.
    German...took it in school...OK I guess.

Should I mention I forgot Kantonese when I was like...5? Learned it cuz of my babysitter, had to translate between her and my mom...well, I guess thats my life story.