Bass tone... suggestions

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Vosk, Jan 1, 2006.

1. *Note: duplication of thread in Basses forum. Wasn't getting any responses.*

Download link:
    Streaming Link:

Hi guys.

Firstly, above are some links for a sample I made from two songs - one is Jeff Buckley Live (Bassist: Mick Grundhall, Fender Jazz, unknown year), and the other is Queens Of the Stone Age Live. (Unknown bass, bassist is from a band called Eleven)

The first tone (2 clips) I really like, it seems to cut through well. If it were me, there would be more treble on it too. So, if I got a Jazz, what pickups would you recommend dropping in for this kind of tone, or an even more growly one maybe. Would a MIM fender with some mods do the job?

Second tone (3rd clip), it is just a really great smooth use of distortion. I think I could get that tone by rolling off the treble a little on the bass above, and with a good pedal. Any recommendations for this kind of Pedal? What type of Overdrive/Distortion?

Basically, what do you think of these tones, and how would you go about getting them?
  2. Goddamn it... will you guys ever respond to this?
  3. Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    I think the first two sounds are cutting through nicely, not so much because of it's overall tone, but the fact that the guitar player's tone doesn't combat the bass tone. Plus, remember even though this is live, the guy behind the sound board has a lot to do with the mix.

The second bass sound (the third clip) sounds like a slightly overdriven tube amp.

To accurately reproduce the sound that you want without having to buy a tube amp, you'd need a decent multiprocessor, or buy a tube pedal and rolloff the treble as you suggested.
  4. So maybe an Ibanez Tubescreamer? Any suggestions for tube pedals?
  5. I'd go with a Fulltone Bass Drive pedal. Sorta expensive but they do capture that overdriven tube amp tone pretty good...especially at low volumes.

Although I've never played a bass through an Ibanez Tubescreamer, I would stay away from guitar pedals altogether. Except for the Big Muff and the Small Stone..those two pedals work just fine with a bass (I can't explain why)...they just do.
  6. $449... I could get 4 tube screamers for that.

(AUD prices)

But if I ever see it, I'll try it. Thanks guys.