Bass tone

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Christian12, Nov 22, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Christian12

Christian12

Mar 20, 2015
    Can anyone tell me if the bass player is using any effects or what not? Or anyone know how to get a similar tone like his, whether playing with the EQ settings. I know theres a bunch of tones out there and varies from each bass and its electronics and that you can change the tone with your fingers, but I just wanna know what I need to do to have tone like that bass player in the video, its so good! (skip around)

2. sounds like flat wounds, lots of bass and some mids. Probably a P bass.

3. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Not even close. The bass player is in the background of a couple of shots. Modern 5 string with active electronics.

4. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Thanks for sharing, nice performance! As the other posters have mentioned, there is nothing about that performance that screams to me that you need a particular brand of bass or type of effect to play with that ensemble. You could use a P bass with flats, or you could use a modern active bass with rounds. (We can see in the video that it is not, actually in fact, a P bass... but it certainly could be... the important thing is not to get too hung up on the gear.)

The reason that the player sounds good is that he is a good player. He knows how to fret and pluck the strings to produce good tone, and he understands phrasing and dynamics. Beginning players often do not realize that they can use the entire area between the bridge and the fretboard as a "tonal palette" to get different sounds. I would encourage you to practice your plucking technique, really listening to the sound, and try to produce everything from long, singing, connected notes to short, staccato, biting notes, to everything in between. That is how you develop a "voice" on the instrument.

Do you have a teacher? These are exactly the topics an experienced teacher can help you with. :)

You asked about EQ and effects. I would bet that, like 99% of the recorded music we hear, the bass has been processed with EQ and some compression/limiting. Usually this is done by the sound engineer, so we bassists don't have to worry about it too much while we are on stage performing. The sound guys I've worked with generally appreciate it when I send them a "flat and dry" signal, meaning just the sound of my bass without any EQ or effects. This gives them full control over the sound, which is good because they can hear what I sound like out in the audience, so I need to trust them, I can't mix the sound myself from stage.

If you are an inexperienced player (or perhaps an experienced player but new to live performance in this context) then I would encourage you to practice getting the best possible "dry" sound from your bass. When you practice "Your Presence Is Heaven To Me," how close can you come to the recorded tone using only your fingers and technique? Do you have a recording of yourself playing this song, so we can give tips and suggestions? :)

Christian12 likes this.
  5. Christian12

Christian12

Mar 20, 2015
    Well said! :] and thank you all for your replies, I do not have a teacher, I am more than willing to learn under someone who has time and don't mind, sometimes the youtube videos do not help me, and I do not understand some videos that well.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021