1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

BASS TONE

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Willturbo, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Willturbo

Willturbo

Mar 3, 2008
    Hello,

Im looking for an amp that can produce that legendary Jaco Pastorius tone but dont want to be spending an outrageous amount of cash. I know alot of his tone came from his fretless however alot will have come from his amp. My knowledge on bass amps is fairly limited and would appreciate any help you could provide.

Cheers

Will Turbo

2. GabeN

GabeN

Feb 27, 2006
    Chugiak, AK
    Maybe you should think about getting your own tone. There are billions of Jaco-wannabe's out there, try to be original.

3. jnuts1

jnuts1

Nov 13, 2007
    jaco's tone is all bridge pickups & his fingers.

4. Willturbo

Willturbo

Mar 3, 2008
    With on that one mate but ive been searchin around for time lookin for somthin that has a distinctive tone do u recommend anythin else then?

5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    If you've never heard Jaco live in person, and only heard "the Jaco tone" on recordings, then you have only heard his bass through a DI direct into the board with no amp whatsoever.

6. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    +1

Even in the live albums, you're hearing just as much of the PA, the room acoustics, the specific mics used, and probably a blending of the miked cabs, the miked ambient room, and the direct clean desk signal on multiple mixer channels.

7. jnuts1

jnuts1

Nov 13, 2007
    it really is only the bridge & fingers. get his instructional DVD

8. Willturbo

Willturbo

Mar 3, 2008
    Understand what ur sayin mate but im lookin for some advice on buyin the right amp not technical waffle

9. Willturbo

Willturbo

Mar 3, 2008
    Jeez didnt know there was so much to it!!!....nice one for the info lad

10. get a passive american fender jazz, and it wont matter a whole ton WHAT amp you have, just get a quality one

11. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    He usually did go direct but not always.

12. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    A set of Rotosound rounds will help a lot more than any particular amp, too.

13. Try the vintage Peavey combo 300, and pay no mind to the snarky responses brother!

These amps can be had for cheap, and have mid tone to DIE for!
    Good luck!

14. Willturbo

Willturbo

Mar 3, 2008
    nice one mate thats what i want to see

15. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    Instant Jaco-Tone on any bass or amp:

Bridge pickup on all the way, neck pickup rolled off about halfway, tone pots cranked.

Flat response on the amp.

Extremely good playing.

It really doesn't matter what you use for an amp. Jaco used a solid state amp with a big 2x15" cab (Acoustic 360/301).

16. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    The Acoustic 360 had 1 18" driver in a folded horn cabinet design. It was 200 watts if memory serves.

17. Jaco used Acoustic Control Corp amps and though they've been gone a long time there are still a lot of them out there being played regularly and have never ben in a shop. I still regret getting rid of mine. Their only downside is that they are big and heavy.

Here is a link to the unoffical acoustic message board. There are plenty of officianados there that can tell you specifics of his equipment and probably settings as well. They also have a buy/sell/trade section. This site is frequented by people from both sides of the pond and equipment is listed from both sides as well. http://p082.ezboard.com/unofficial-...um/bunofficialacousticcontrolcorpmessageboard

18. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    Sorry. Not a big Acoustic guy and thought it had 2 15"s.

19. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    No problem. FWIW, Acoustic is making a comeback. The GC already has some small practice amps. I've heard that there will soon be a U.S. made new versions of the 360 available.

20. Funny how that works eh mate? (informative responses all of a sudden)