1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Bass Tones EQ settings question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Ramik, Jul 3, 2020.

1. Ramik

Ramik

Jun 29, 2020
    Are there music styles or classic bass tones set by a 4 band EQ setting; (Bass, Lo-Mid, Hi-Mid, Treble) and Compression as an extra tool for creating those, If so what sounds and tones you are getting from different EQs?

2. Ramik

Ramik

Jun 29, 2020
    my stupid question looks like a high school test question, lol

3. jking138

jking138

Oct 6, 2013
    I think every style of music is shaped by EQ and compression in some way. Maybe I don't understand the question but are you asking for general settings like: for reggae boost the bass and cut the treble, for rock cut the bass a little and boost the low mids?

If you want more info about compression ovnilab.com is brilliant.

Ramik likes this.
  4. Plus it all “depends”...
    some genres depend on what era too... I mean early black sabbath “metal” tones compared to a “metal” tone today would vary too...
    Some say slap is a smiley face (cut the mids boost the bass and treble) but I make my metal finger style and slap with the same eq of flat everything with a low mid boost still work.

Ramik likes this.
  5. Ramik

Ramik

Jun 29, 2020
    Yes, I'm asking for general settings for different tones

6. jking138

jking138

Oct 6, 2013
    Some general advice for all bass tones would be:
    1. Don't compress too much, it will kill your tone and dynamics.
    2. Tone is subjective and in the end it all depends on what sounds good in a band situation.
    3. Don't get too distracted by your tone, find something you likke and practice playing.

How you play, hard, soft, fingers, slap, pick, near the bridge, near the neck, will all have an affect on your tone as well.

Saying that, usually boosting mids a little will help you live, scooping can often do the opposite. However if your just playing at home and starting out (which I guess you are) just play around and see what each EQ point does.
    I've seen lots of people who pick up a bass and boost the bass EQ because it's a bass guitar, this uaually does not sound good and is not very helpful.

Find some players you like and try to see what they're doing, their technique and equipment will be the biggest part of their tone.
    For example:

Geddy Lee, very aggressive tone, he plays hard with his fingers over the neck pick-up of his jazz bass and boosts the treble and mids.
    Timmy C of RATM has a similar thing but he plays near the bridge. This is a kind of default rock, punk, prog, metal type tone.

James Jamerson has a deep and thumpy tone from his P bass with flatwound strings, all bass and mids with nearly no treble at all.
    You could use this type of tone for motown, reggae, RnB, hip hop and blues as well.

Ramik likes this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 13, 2021