Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass too powerful for my amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dviper, Apr 10, 2005.

1. Dviper

Dviper

Aug 24, 2004
    New York, USA
    I have a Spector Rebop 5 and the pre amp "bass boost" is too much for my amp to handle. Right now all i have is a Fender rumble 100. I kinda blew it out but it was under warantee so its in a fender factory somewhere being repaired. I tried my bass out on a few of my friends amp and they have those lights on them that light up whenever the amp cant take it anymore and it kept lighting up all the time until i turned the bass control on the bass down. but i love the way it sounds with the bass up and it sounds like crap with it down. sooo...Could u make any recomendations for a good amp that will be able to handle the powerful electronics of my spector? Somewhere in the price range of under $800 preferably.

2. All you really need is something with a -10db pad button on it. This brings the input signal volume down so it doesn't overdrive the input of the amp. I believe that will solve your problem.

I actually have that same bass in four string form. Great sounding bass IMO. Right now I run through an Ampeg SVP-CL Pre into a QSC power amp and I have no problems with clipping or overloading the input, even w/o the -10db pad on.

3. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    According to the Fender website, the Rumble does have a passive/active switch. I trust you've tried that Dviper?

And do folks think there's a pedal or something he could put in his signal chain to take the edge off? bass-->pedal-->amp.

Either way, finding a more powerful amp under $800 shouldn't be difficult. I have an Ashdown MAGC210 combo myself and it's great. It's big, powerful, and loud. Heavy too. Bass amps need to be powerful to handle the low frequencies. 100 watts is great for guitarists, but wimpy for bassists.

4. Dviper

Dviper

Aug 24, 2004
    New York, USA
    yes i did use that active/passive switch, i kept it on active because i was using an active bass. but still, even with that this happened. I was looking into some Carvin Amps, any suggestions on those?

5. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Ok, I gotta ask - have you tried playing with your bass boost where you like, but NOT turning the volume on your bass all the way up? You know, like maybe playing with your volume at 3/4.

6. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Probably a silly question, but are you ganking the bass boost on both the amp and the bass?

7. Dviper

Dviper

Aug 24, 2004
    New York, USA
    well i usualy play with my bass volume all the way up and control the volume with the amp.

8. Vanagon

Vanagon

Nov 13, 2004
    this is one of the reasons most basses have a volume knob(s) ;)

9. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Can you turn down the preamp (bass boost)?

I thought my Thumb was a little hot so I took the cover off of the electronics and turned it down via a trim pot.

:D

Joe.

10. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Or just EQ that bass in with your amp... Amps can handle tones a lot better when you let it create the tone, instead of feeding it from the bass.

11. Check and see if it has an internal trimmer pot you can turn down. If not then just use the Volume control...crap that is what it is for.
    -G

12. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Yes, but that doesn't seem to be getting the job done, eh? ;) Turn down your bass volume, and turn up your amp. Then you won't clip the input, and you'll get the bass-age that you're looking for.

13. R Briere

R Briere Bass-ically Yours

One of the things that has ALWAYS amazed me, due in part to the fact that I was guilty of this sonic-sin when I was young, is that we seem to be stuck in the "What sounds great on stage will sound great out front" thing.

At least 9 out of 10 players that you see with small-ish rigs try to get a whopping bass sound out of a piece of gear that was never designed to deliver that. Smoke, fire and Brimstone tends to be the end result.

Some players with HUGE rigs are still chasing the same goose and have tone that absolutely sucks; you can see their fingers moving but you can't tell what notes they're playing. Extreme setting example--Treble=0, Mids=0, Bass=10!! There's a simple fix; turn down the knob titled "BASS" and turn UP the others--substantially. :) Yes, it'll sound less deep and manly ON STAGE......but it'll sound a whole lot better out front and people will actually be able to distinguish one note from another. :D

14. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    +1000000000000000

The preamp on your bass is BOOST ONLY. Its not meant to be run full on. When you have the bass rolled ALL THE WAY OFF, the bass is set to flat. Use your bass knob to boost the bass frequencies A LITTLE and see what happens.

15. that or get a big rig

16. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Actually it's the other way around amps can reproduce all manner of crazy stuff from an instrument, if you're not clipping the pre, if you run them flat. Then they summon the power for the lows and transients when needed instead of continously. If you have an anemic bass well this doesn't apply.

17. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    I never played with my Spector NS5CRFM's Master Volume all the way up. Usually about 1/2, or at the most 3/4. I had a killer Mesa rig at the time, and it would even push that thing to it's limits. For whatever reason, ALL Spectors seem to have this thing w/ their preamps, no matter the brand, that just has a HOT hot signal that will take out a lot of amps.

On mine, I'd cut Treble a lil bit, boost the Bass JUST slightly, and run the Volume about 3/4's of the way. Adjust your amp from there.

18. Dviper

Dviper

Aug 24, 2004
    New York, USA
    alright, when i get my amp back i'll be sure to try that out

19. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    There is now a Tone Pump Jr. with less gain coming out for this reason. The thing is just to hot.

20. Its really weird how my spector does not over drive any amp Ive ever put it through. I have even tried to get some distortion by cranking the bass all the way. The only way I can get it is to crank the bass and crank the input volume to full and play really hard. Maybe I got a defectively good one.