Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass too quiet or what?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TimBosby, Feb 25, 2005.

1. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    I have this really nice 50th Anniversary Fender Jazz (the limited one) that I just bought "used" but it's pretty much impeccable, maybe a tiny flaw here or there. Only 500 of these made. It's gorgeous and I'll post pictures later. But it hurts to play. My fingers started to hurt after a half hour of jamming with my band. I am not sure if it was because I felt like I was playing harder to be heard, or because the string action is too high or what. This is my first passive bass in a really long time but it is not nearly as loud as my active Carvin LB70, which had previously been my "quiet" bass compared to my active G&L L2000. I love the Fender's tone but I am worried that it might be too quiet. My band is not really that loud but we do rock out (our website is here I am playing through an Eden 330 WT and two Aguilar GS 112s (330 watts at 4 ohms) I use a Boss GEB-7 equalizer pedal to get the frequencies I want tweaked just right and a bit of a gain boost as well...actually a lot of a gain boost.

My guitar player uses an Ampeg Reverberocket 212 which is loud as all hell and our new drummer has a Pearl Session or something...whatever Pearl's "second best" kit is...it's HUGE but he only has one kick drum.

Do I need a string set up or what? I am sick and freaking tired of taking basses in to get set up! It's like $40 every time. I thought about trying to adjust the truss rod myself but I know there is way more that goes into it then just the string action and I am scared of permanently damaging my gear. I am one of those people that will gladly trust an expert to do something but complain when I have to pay..haha. :D The only bass I've NEVER needed to have adjusted is the one I've owned the longest...and the only one I bought NEW...with my HS grad. money years ago..my trusty G&L.

Anyway, I got a great deal on this Fender and I want to keep it. Even my fiancee loves it. Any advice?

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Sounds like high action to me. A setup is a good thing. You might try turning up your amp and using a lighter touch.

3. She's used, right? So what are you waiting for?

Come on spend the money...here's what you need:

1) New Strings
    2) Set up (neck, action, intonation)
    3) Pickup height adjustment.
    4) General electronic inspection (solder joints, knobs, jacks, etc...).

The only way to truly love her, is for her love you back.

4. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    FWIW the first thing that I do when I buy a used bass is to basically take it all a part, check the authenticity and the put it back together properly (which would include a set up).
    You say a set up is only $40.00? for God's sake do it already.Where I live it would cost you a buck.

5. and where i live its about 70 bucks, which equates to your 40.

mate, the reason it costs that much is because the guys KNOW what they're doing - i would never trust myself to do it properly.

i just had my 95 MIJ Jazz setup by a professional and it sounds and plays like gold, easily the best bass i have owned to date. i wouldn't hesitate, i if were you.

be aware, though, that a passive bass is never going to give you the output that an active one does. Do you have a High/Low input socket on your amp? High input is for passive and Low input is for your active basses.

just a thought....