Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Trade

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by buzzbass, Dec 3, 2004.

1. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    I've been offered a bass trade and I'd like to get some opinions. I have an unplayed Zon Sonus 5 in amber that I just don't use. I play my red Sonus 5 way more. Anyway, I've been offered an NOS Warwick Thumb 5 neck thru in trade. The thumb is new, but has been sitting in the shop for 4 or 5 years. I guess nobody liked the custom color finish (huge metal flake silver, like a Flea bass). The trade would be straight up, bass for bass. Would you do it ? I love Warwicks, have 2 already, so I know I'll like it. Any thoughts, anyone, anyone.....Bueller ?

2. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    If it were me, I'd hold onto the Zon..

3. Keep the Zon..no question.

4. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    But I already have one just like it in Red. I'd play the amber one more, but the grain on the body just doesn't do it for me, very plain and straight. So it's not like I won't have anymore Zons to play. The Thumb would be my one & only neck thru, hence my interest. never had a neck thru before. And with that color(silver), it's just so ugly that it's cool.

5. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I wouldnt consider that for more than a millisecond. IMHO, the Zon is twice the bass any Warwick could be.

6. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Hey, you asked for my thoughts, I gave them.. I wasn't telling you what you should do. IMO no Warwick (no matter what model or construction) is on par with a Zon. So, if I were in your place I wouldn't do it.

7. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    You could sell that Zon and get money to cover a very nice neck-thru that's not like the other Warwicks you already own, with cash left over if you were thrifty.