Bass traders what bass cured the itch?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RSmith, Apr 5, 2005.

1. I know we have a few obsessive bass traders here........I'm just curious what bass finally cured the itch and why. I'll go first. I got Sadowsky MV4 and I think I'm done. :smug: What about ya'll?
  2. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Traded an MTD 535 for a smokin Ken Smith neckthrough. I'm done, with trading that is. GAS is stronger than the H train, all of the research agrees.
  3. I dropped a Ken Smith & Warwick for my Stambaugh(all 6's)- never looked back, but now my broke arse is scheming for a matching fretless...
  4. contrary to my handle, I've only made one bass trade. I've bought a couple and thought the Roscoe was the 'it', but with my small hands the 35"scale and wide spacing wasn't the thing for me. Since my gigs have pretty much dried up I decided to do a trade + cash for a Carvin (gasp). I doubt it will solve the itch, but it is a beautiful bass, and I'm looking forward to some upgrades - pups & pre - just for fun.

The bassic issue is G.A.S. - incurable by most estimates. We'll see if I start playing out more, maybe something new is on the horizon.
  5. Andre_gt7

Jan 4, 2005
    Atlanta - GA
    cant cure the itch
  6. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    The only bass I've "traded" was a Pedulla Rapture-5; It's tone was great, but it's string spacing didn't feel comfortable, I guess I've never got into playing a 5-string. - I have no idea why. :confused:

I'm mainly a Precision bass-type of guy, but I've switched to a few different brands over the years. -I keep returning to a P-Bass when I play a 4-string. :cool:

I'm now a big fan of Keith Roscoe's basses. My SKB3006 is my first 6-stringer and I love it. Other than wanting another SKB3006, I'm cured. :)

7. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Spector NS2000/5. Hands down. Looking for more Spectors, but not anything else.

8. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    Godin A5, bought right here in the classifieds. It wasn't great until the guy who sets up my guitars shimmed the neck to adjust the angle. He just used a flatpick, but it just transformed the thing. So, although in theory I might prefer to have a Veillette or a Turner, it's hard to imagine how much better either one could be, aside from their gorgeous looks.
  9. kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    I agree with Andre, however, my Lakland Hollowbody and Geddy Lee are acting as a thinly-applied layer of Hydrocortisone. ;)
  10. You haven't played an Elrick or Fodera yet! And don't let Gard get his Roscoe hooks in you.

11. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    So far I've found the grail in a '78 P-bass. A tad on the heavy side, and I need more basses, but she's a keeper.
  12. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Musicman Sterling. Best bass ive played.
  13. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    For me it's Dingwall. It would now sell for more than I paid for it, to replace it NEW may be close to double what I paid for it, but it is difficult to say "replace" because many basses have their own distinct personality as any great bass should, IMO. The next bass I will get will most probably be another Dingwall, but I will never sell this one mainly because I am in love with it, and also because I cannot afford to do so.
  14. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man

Five years ownership? Well, almost. Purchased new in December of 1999. Main bass for four years. Foolishly traded away last summer because I wasn't playing it regularly and I was bored. When the opportunity came to buy it back, I never even hesitated. Heinz is my bass. Period. Behold the power of Heinz!
  15. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I tried a Roscoe - wasn't my bag really :meh:. I'm pretty sure I tried an Elrick as well, sounded great, but wasn't any Spector. I'm used to having muchos mids now lol. I'll have to get to B.C. to give them all a test again, but those USA Spectors I played, IMO and for the sound I have and love, and am looking for (I'm there, just a USA would be better than a Korean model Spector:p), they smoked everything else. But that's me... gotta get back to B.C. now :p.

16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    There is no cure ... only the illusion of one.
  17. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    or is that periods of remission ;)
  18. I've owned seven different basses and have decided the stingray is the best all around player.
  19. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    I have been exclusively fretless for 11 years. I recently bought the first fretted bass that has turned my head. It's called a Levinson Blade. It's a Jazz copy that has a really incredible neck on it. It's wired as I like my jazz basses wired: vol/bal/tone.

I've remained quiet about it on the forums because I am afriad to say out loud that this is quite possibly the best bass I have every played. And I've been playing for 33 years. It just plays like butter. I'm giving it time before stating conclusively that this is the one. My frankenbass fretless 75 P-necked, jazz bodied bass is so dear to my heart and will always be the keeper. Always. I've seen too many good ones go, that I don't want to regret saying goodbye to a great one.

So.. to answer the question...yep...I found (and wasn't even out there looking) a truly impressive bass.