Bass transcription software

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by intonation, Jun 30, 2005.

1. intonation

Jun 21, 2005
    Hi, hope someone can help me learn/find some kind of program that will actually pick the bass out of a CD. I looked around on this forum and found out about like it can do it ...but I'm having problems getting it to run on my computer....I had once used the tascam bass machine, but the sales people really didn't know how to use it so it was hard for me to understand it's functions....I'm not too good at hearing the bass to tab it out....anyway, please someone, explain this to me .....thank you....Intonation :confused:
  2. AFAIK there is no such a software which is working 100% right, in my experience.

You can easily test the programs, just play a song that you are sure what the bass player is playing and compare what the programs show.

In my experiences it showed some notes that are not currently played by bass (probably it's guitar or maybe drums that interfere) and it didn't show some notes that are actually played by bass (maybe it recognizes them as guitar or drums notes). It's not the fault of the program because it's really hard to achieve to catch every notes played by every instruments.

To achieve this, the program should figure out what are the notes played at a given interval and which instrument produced this sound.

I mean, in time 1:32-1:34, guitar plays a Cmin chord :bassist: , where the second guitar is doubling one octave higher :bassist: :bassist: , where bass plays G on E string :eyebrow: and drummer kick bass drums and hit china cymbal :hyper: and vocals is screaming in D# :bawl: .

I think the working principal of this kind of programs, is that, they try to figure out what each instrument is playing, by assuming that some wave frequencies belongs to some instrument (let's say a 220 Hz "A" is played by bass whereas 440 Hz "A" is played by guitar). But I'm not sure about it.

First of all it's hard to distinguish the exact note played (a G played by the bass). It's harder to distinguish all notes played at the same time (see the example above). It's even harder to distinguish which instrument played those particular notes.

Though if you have a midi file (.mid) this is all digital, that means you know in which channel, which instrument plays, which note.

Maybe all I've written so far, is wrong. Those are my experince and views.

Try to figure out by your ears even you are not good at. I'm doing this and by time I can tell that this skill gets better when I see my early transcribtions today (and correct them). It really helps for ear training. And the more you put effort to figure out what the bass player played (I am assuming that you are trying to transcribe a song that you like and don't get bored) the more you learn what to do with your songs later. I mean you can see different approach of different bass players and in my experience it's more rewarding to make by yourself, compared to ready-to-eat meals, I mean to play some songs looking at a tab book/tab software (if any) in 15 minutes and don't spend time to see what the rest of the band is doing.
  3. EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    I tried Sienzo for about 5 minutes and uninstalled it. It couldn't transpose anything for me. Some of it was just off. It listed various chords that weren't even in the key of the song. It was WAYYY off. 3 Y's of off.