1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass transcription software

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by chaosartifex, Dec 13, 2011.

1. chaosartifex

chaosartifex

Dec 13, 2011
    I'm looking for software that can transcribe my music as I play it. Something similar the the voice program (Dragon Naturally Speaking).

Basically, I want to plug my bass into my computer, open a program, tell the program how many strings and what tuning I'm in, and have the program be able to recognize the notes, and show me the tabs as I'm playing, or even a delay. My memory isn't what it used to be, and I would like to archive some stuff that I still remember... Does a program like this exist?

2. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    If there is such a thing, it'll probably be pretty sketchy. Best bet is a MIDI capable bass and Sibelius (or Finale, but I much prefer Sibelius).

3. chaosartifex

chaosartifex

Dec 13, 2011
    I'm looking into Sibelius, but I can't find any info on capabilities of writing using an instrument...

EDIT: I have Pro Tools 10 and all the appropriate recording equipment. I just want to be able to record something, and have tabs that I can look back on in case I forget how to play

4. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    I don't know if the latest version of Sibelius will notate audio input, but it will notate MIDI input.

5. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
  6. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    So did some looking around and found this:
    Bass to MIDI converter

Can't tell you anything about it other than giving you that link. If it works, that plus Sibelius is your best bet. I can say MIDI input works really well.

7. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Roland VB-99 and GR-55 will do per string - so you could possibly even do tab.
    It takes some technique to get used to playing through a midi converter.