Bass Transportation Horror Stories

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by hdiddy, Dec 15, 2005.

1. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Just to break the monotony since TBDB has been slow as of late, how about sharing some horror stories about schlepping your bass around?

I know there have been discussions about transporting in cabs with the scroll sticking out or the garbage man throwing your prized bass away while you were getting everything ready to leave for a flight, etc. etc. but maybe it'll be fun to share your own?

Mine's not that horrible but still made me sweat.

I showed up at this guitarists place for a band audition cuz they're looking for a bass player. He lives a tiny little shack up on the roof of a large warehouse. The only way to get up there is by an outdoor metal-wrought-iron spiral staircase. Skinny me can barely fit on the staircase much less the bass.

So he runs up and I have to hand my bass to him. Me on the bottom pushing up from the endblock while he grabs the bass bag where the scroll is. :eek: Talk about having to trust strangers. I was freaking out bigtime.

We do our rehearsal: 4 musicians crammed into his closet of a living room. I had no room to move or even lay the bass down halfway standing on something! :scowl:

And then of course I have to get him to help me bring it back down. Thank god I wasn't into playing with that band because all the rehearsals are his place.