1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

bass/treble tone control

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fender_mod, Jan 29, 2006.

  1. fender_mod


    Jun 23, 2005
    a buddy of mine has a rick and i notice it has tone for both bass and treble, just wondering whats the diff? does treble to the bridge pup and bass the neck or does it alter the freqencies independently as i expect? if so it would be cool to have circuit controls to alter bass and treble tone like that on a passive bass. im always looking to alter my bass for the better trying to get as much versatility as i can get. thx.
  2. Rodent

    Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

    Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    on a standard rik 4001/4003, you'll have one volume and passive tone for each p/u

    All the best,

  3. luknfur


    Jan 14, 2004

    actual bass/trelbe frequency controls would involve a preamp (there is such a thing as a passive bass control/choke but they were comparatively expensive to fabricate, a rare thing of the past, pretty unheard of today, and comparatively inferior to active as passive in term of being cut only).

    In the guitar world treble and bass are used interchangeably in discussing pups instead of lead and rhythm. Those terms really aren't used (at least in the U.S., but maybe in the UK) for bass guitars. We call them bridge and neck. So those are probably simply tone pots for the bridge and neck pups respectively.
  4. fender_mod


    Jun 23, 2005
    ah i see, i always got confused when fooling around with my friends rick, i found something on the net for passive mid scoop and boost, obviously not the same thing i mentioned earlier but still worth noting, and maybe trying.