Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass tremlo...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chris h, Nov 25, 2002.

1. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    I have been trying to find out where I could get a bass tremlo bridge. I have done some searches and all seem to refer to 'porkpie products' which im guessing is a shop, but is now out of business apparently. Does anyone know where I could find one? I live in the uk. Also, if anyone has any pics of a tremlo equipped bass, please show it. Im guessing fitting it would require cutting bits out of my bass.. thats ok, im doing it to an old jazz bass. Or is it possible to get ones with a different pivot point so the body can be left? Any pictures or links, ideas, stories, please post them.

P.s dont start with the "why the hell do u want to!!" stuff, im doing it for fun and wouldnt dream of doing it to my pedulla or 57 p!

Thanks for any input!!

Chris:p

2. I have a Kahler Tremelo on one of my basses. I have no complaints with it. As far as I know pork pie is still in business but I have never heard of them making any tremelo's...but that's not to say that they haven't! I know they make a lot of drum equipment.

3. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    cool. any pics? or links?

4. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    Kahler used to make them, but not anymore.

I tried for a while to find one, but I eventually gave up, since it looked like it was going to end up being expensive.

5. Got a Khaler on an old encore p bass nock off.

Ees preety guud senor

6. I've heard quite often that tremelo/whammy bars break a lot of bass strings. How true is this? Is it just an urban myth spread by conservative bassists who think whammys have NO place on a bass?

7. I may have some pic's of the Kahler on my bass...not sure. I'll take a look. Also, no, I have yet to break one string on mine. I have heard rumors of this being an issue. Mine was professionally installed and not 'hacked' in so I trust the workmanship even though the bass looks like it has been through a battle zone.

8. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Bass Palace has a `85 G&L "Interceptor" w/factory-installed Kahler for sale...

[​IMG]

9. NICE :D

10. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    Thanks for the link and picture. The split whammy looks cool. I wonder how much it would cost to have it installed. Does anyone know if you can get a vibrato bridge which does not require routing? any more pictures?

Cheers

11. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  12. This tune is nice ... discontinued, but they still built it on order.

13. Grygore

Grygore

Oct 25, 2002
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Carvin used to have Kahler Tremolo bridges as an option long ago....One of my friends had a big ol REAL heavy bass with one. Fun to play with, never broke any strings because of it as far as I can remember....

14. freebeer and everyone else,
    Thanks for the responses concerning string breakage!
    I've thought about getting one for years. John Pattituci was proto-testing a model that just worked on two or three of his six strings. I've not had the chance to check out the links given here (I'm on my way out the door...) but would like to know of any six string bass models/brands out there.

Ritter's looks cool. It seems like it might be a concern in the future to go with a "one off" if that luthier ever goes out of biz unless it could be repaired by a machinist shop.

If anyone knows of more info, pics, this is a cool thread!
    Thanks!

15. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    The Double Whammy is so much better then any of those before them. Structure and stability is unmatched. Really need to check them out!!!!!

16. I know that Les Claypool's old Carl Thompson piccolo bass has a tremelo on it. He used it in several songs on Sailing the Oceans of Cheese.

17. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Pork Pie makes drum stuff.

Pork Products was a short-lived company making new copies of the old Kahler designs. At least I'm pretty sure they're not doing it anymore.

18. Gopher Bob

Gopher Bob

Nov 24, 2001
    Florida
    Does anyone know the price for a 4 or 5 doulbewhammy? I emailed them awhile back and never got a response so gave up. Would a guitar repair-person be able to route the bass for installation?