1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass Tremolo Bridge

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by SuperSluggard, Jul 20, 2004.

1. SuperSluggard

SuperSluggard

Jan 2, 2004
  2. My only question would be...why would you want one?

3. SuperSluggard

SuperSluggard

Jan 2, 2004
    oh. I thought it looked cool. :scowl:

4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    My guess would be that they totally rule. I love my trems. I don't have a Hipshot, but I understand those are pretty good. If you want one, get one. Don't let closeminded people stop you.

5. Stu L.

Stu L.

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    I think it would be cool to mess around with. But I am into bending strings and what not. I don't think it's the answer, but I don't think it's bad either.

7. i dig benji's trems. i wish they still made those.

8. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    I want to be a wanker too! Maybe I'll make a project bass specifically to piss Dave off. :D

9. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I had one installed in one of my basses back in the late 80's. They had to route a significant amount of wood out under the bridge for the installation. It totally ruined the sound of the bass. Wouldn't stay in tune at all (too much string tension on a bass vs. a guitar), and it weakened the stiff bass strings so they'd occassionally break at very inopportune times.

It was one of the worst decisions I ever made.

10. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I think they are refering to the Hipshot tremolo, which has only been out 1-2 years. Are you refering to the Kahler tremolo?

11. I used to have one too on my Charvel/Jackson Concert Series. I've just never thought a trem worked well on bass. Whenever I used it, I had one hell of time trying to keep it in tune. I guess the high tension of the strings is just a little too much for it.

Plus, it makes your bass move one step closer to g**tar.... ;)

12. jani_bjorklund

jani_bjorklund

May 22, 2002
    Finland
    Bassplaying isn't about "looking cool". Nor is it gadgets and gimicks. Bassplaying is serious stuff like building a foundation.

13. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Call me crazy, but I thought it was about having fun and enjoying playing music.

14. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Some would consider things like electric basses and amps "gimmicks". It's not the tools, it's how you use them.

15. SuperSluggard

SuperSluggard

Jan 2, 2004
    :rollno:

Maybe I should of used a different word.