Bass Tremolo Bridge

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by SuperSluggard, Jul 20, 2004.

1. My only question would be...why would you want one?
  2. SuperSluggard

Jan 2, 2004
    oh. I thought it looked cool. :scowl:
  3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    My guess would be that they totally rule. I love my trems. I don't have a Hipshot, but I understand those are pretty good. If you want one, get one. Don't let closeminded people stop you.
  4. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    I think it would be cool to mess around with. But I am into bending strings and what not. I don't think it's the answer, but I don't think it's bad either.
  6. i dig benji's trems. i wish they still made those.
  7. Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    I want to be a wanker too! Maybe I'll make a project bass specifically to piss Dave off. :D
  8. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I had one installed in one of my basses back in the late 80's. They had to route a significant amount of wood out under the bridge for the installation. It totally ruined the sound of the bass. Wouldn't stay in tune at all (too much string tension on a bass vs. a guitar), and it weakened the stiff bass strings so they'd occassionally break at very inopportune times.

It was one of the worst decisions I ever made.
  9. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I think they are refering to the Hipshot tremolo, which has only been out 1-2 years. Are you refering to the Kahler tremolo?
  10. I used to have one too on my Charvel/Jackson Concert Series. I've just never thought a trem worked well on bass. Whenever I used it, I had one hell of time trying to keep it in tune. I guess the high tension of the strings is just a little too much for it.

Plus, it makes your bass move one step closer to g**tar.... ;)
  11. jani_bjorklund

May 22, 2002
    Bassplaying isn't about "looking cool". Nor is it gadgets and gimicks. Bassplaying is serious stuff like building a foundation.
  12. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Call me crazy, but I thought it was about having fun and enjoying playing music.
  13. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Some would consider things like electric basses and amps "gimmicks". It's not the tools, it's how you use them.
  14. SuperSluggard

Jan 2, 2004

Maybe I should of used a different word.