Bass Tremolo Dilemma...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassmanbucko, Jul 14, 2004.

1. :help: I have an Ibanez SRX300 bass that I want to put a bass tremolo on, and the only real option for me is to buy a Hipshot bass tremolo, but I really want to get a Kahler bass tremolo. Would I be better off going the easy route and buying a Hipshot or should I continue my search for a Kahler? And while I'm on that subject, does anyone know where to find a Kahler bass tremolo? :help:
  2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I've heard there were some problems with the kahler tremolo (i.e. detuning and stuff) so the Hipshot might be better. Their other products have good reputation at least
  3. Yeah, I did hear that the Hipshot was really good, too. My only real problem with that is that I'd have to route through the entire body much like the tremolos on Fender Strats are, and one thing I like about the Kahler is that I'd only have to route out a small section of the front. But I guess the addition of the spring cavity for the Hipshot would make it more stable than the Kahler.
  4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I've tried just about every trem known to bassdom. The Kahler is ok, but doesn't stay in tune well and are hard to find. I haven't tried the Hipshot, but if it's like their other products then I would pass.

You might look for the Vibro-tek double whammy. That's a fun one, and it stays in tune pretty well.

The best of course is the Steinberger TransTrem. But their were only 200 made (of which I have two), and you need a headless bass for it to work properly.
  5. Ehh, I think I'll pass on that one. I've seen those, and I doubt I'll ever have to use my bass to create pedal-steel effects, but thanx anyways.