Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bass tremolo

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by lemonadeisgood, Jan 28, 2002.

1. lemonadeisgood

lemonadeisgood

Aug 22, 2001
    Canada
    I'm interested in putting a Kahler bass tremolo on my Jazz bass.

What kind of work would be expected of this?

2. Hardest is finding the tremelo. Then you have to destroy the resale value of the bass.

I would try to find one that has it on it. Don't know what or where, but it's also about the only way you'll get the trem.

3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    This has been discussed several times before, but I'll say it again. Other than the simple novelty of having a tremelo on your bass, I can't imagine the application.

Several here with some experience with them have said that they do not stay in tune well.

In addition you are going to be forced to remove about 10-15 percent of the mass of your bass body in order to install it. So, the sustain and resonance of your bass is going to be seriously compromised. Especially since the floating tremelo system gives you very little surface area for energy transfer.

The cost of the tremelo along with professional installation (maybe you want to take a router to your bass, but I don't) would end up somewhere around $500. That seems a little excessive for a toy. But it you have $500 burning a hole in your pocket and either have another bass that sounds good or perhaps like the idea of a thinner sound, I say go for it.

Chas

4. mgood

mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    I had one on my first bass, a Carvin V440T.

It actually stayed in tune surprisingly well. GETTING it in tune to begin with could be a real pain because changing the pitch of one string changed all of them. :oops:

I hardly ever used the thing. It was bought during my headbanger days (daze?) and I thought it was the coolest thing ever. After a while, the novelty wore off and I left the bar in the case most of the time. (You had to take it off, by unscrewing it about a million turns, to get the bass in it's case, then screw it back on when you took it out. A pain. Screw it!)

I did actually use it for something musical one time. Years after that bass had pretty much been retired, my band decided to play Hey You by Pink Floyd. That song has a lot of fretless bass sliding around in it. It just didn't sound right doing the slides on my fretted bass, and I didn't have a fretless. I pulled the old V440T out of retirement and used the whammy bar to slide from note to note. It really worked well. One of those things that you thought would be lame but you were surprised when it came out really cool? That was me.

Bottom line: It's a cool novelty, or as a collector's gizmo, but for day-to-day playing, it's more trouble than it's worth. Not that it's a lot of trouble, it's just not worth much. :p

Mine was black with chrome hardware, but other than that identical to the one in this picture from the 1987 catalog. My heavy metal bass. :D

[​IMG]

5. whoa! that's some metal axe!:D

FWIW you can get some quite convincing divebomb effects with a fretless through distortion- I had a lot of fun putting my defretted Hohner acoustic through a guitar multi effect unit :cool:

6. "The Ritter BB1 Tremolo System comes only with a Ritter bass. It`s not sold seperately!"

nice piece of engineering, though.

but- that routing-:eek: