1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass trill help/filling up a song

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by BassdwnLo, Jul 14, 2014.

1. BassdwnLo

BassdwnLo

Jul 14, 2014
    So when I started I was really young and someone told me that it wasn't important for a bass player to know how to do any fills/trills/soloing as long as you stay on tempo. So I never thought I needed to learn anything else (especially because I play in a three piece band. If I drop out to try to do a fill, suddenly the song sounds empty) but I realized recently that I have become so stagnant. I haven't really gotten much better. What can I do to improve on making trills and fills throughout songs? What songs should I learn to get examples from? Who should I listen too? And any other advice
    By he way I play in a pop/rock band

2. lkbass22

lkbass22

Apr 21, 2009
    New York City

Pino Palladino is, IMO, a master of tasteful pop/rock fills and basslines.

3. Here you have another one: Sharay Reed, in an easy and common progression of chords.

4. Sweeps

Sweeps

Jul 25, 2014
    I think for bass fills listen to a lot of Jack Bruce Cream stuff. That's where I got the idea to do it from. He somehow manages to slip in guitar like fills in between his regular bass line while he's singing.