1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass Troubles

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by psubassist, Apr 8, 2006.

1. psubassist

psubassist

Feb 13, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Hello all:

The past couple of weeks, i have noticed a distored sound when i play my Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass.

At first I thought it may have been my amp that i was playing on, that turned out not to be the case. I then went to check my cables, again, that wasn't the problem. I thought since it was an active bass, maybe that it is the battery, i changed the battery twice, and the distorted sound is still there.

I am now suspecting that it might be the actual electronics, maybe a disconnected wire or something.

Today i played a gig and while i was playing, the bass was cutting in and out and while cutting in, had a distorted sound. It goes away for a period of time, but if i play for a long period of time, like i did last night, it gets progressively more distored and quieter.

If anyone has any information on this problem, please let me know!

Thank you!

John

2. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    Definitely sounds like a loose connection somewhere within the preamp circut of the bass or perhaps at the input jack.

General suggestion would be to open it up and take a look to see if this is the case and if you are confident in your DIY skills fix it yourself with a bit of soldering. If however you are not confident in doing this, or are unable to determine if this is the problem take it to your local music store that has a decent techie, and get them to have a look at it.

3. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

If you can't visually locate at bad connection, etc. You might want to take it to a shop that specializes in amp repairs. Their business is repairing electronics. The business of music stores is to sell electronics.

4. psubassist

psubassist

Feb 13, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    yeah, ill be gettin back home in a week so ill be takin it to the guitar shop there and see what they say. ive tried checkin it out and ive got no where...