1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass, Trumpet and Guitar?!?!?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by bassicallyjakob, Nov 1, 2013.

1. bassicallyjakob

bassicallyjakob

Aug 24, 2013
    Does anyone know groups, arrangements, etc. that have only bass, trumpet, and guitar?

2 friends and I have started this group and it'd be nice to have some repertoire. So far I've only found stuff with drums making it into a quartet (which we don't want). Suggestions are also appreciated for what my group can do for gigs.

Thanks in advance! :hyper::hyper::hyper:

2. mooseonbass

mooseonbass Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Boston
    There are some great Chet Baker recordings with that configuration but this is probably the wrong forum to bring them up.

3. Mgaisbacher

Mgaisbacher Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2012
    Nashville, TN
    Christian McBride- Fingerpainting the music of Herbie Handcock

As the name of the album suggests it's all Herbie tunes but it's just bass guitar and trumpet.

4. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    A) Wrong forum
    B) I'm not seeing the link between hearing recordings of other groups of this configuration and repretoire. Unless you're trying to recreate/cover those performances, your repretoire is whatever songs you three want to play however you choose to arrange them. If you love a song for his composition or love a recording of a sextet doing a song, get together with your guys and work it out the way that you feel/hear it.
    C) Wrong forum.

You must not have seen this:

Sticky Thread Sticky: IF YOUR THREAD ISN'T ABOUT A BASS, DON'T POST IT HERE

or this:

Sticky: GUITARISTS, BASSISTS, CARS, BOOKS, TECHNIQUES, AND RECORDINGS ARE ALSO NOT BASSES

or this:

Sticky Thread Sticky: CASES, CALLUSES, STRINGS, AMPS, PICKUPS, MICS, AND CARROTS ARE NOT BASSES

on your way in.

5. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    Bass, guitar and trumpet is no different than with sax or whatever. Just play the tunes you can agree on and try to make some good music.

6. eerbrev

eerbrev

Dec 6, 2009
    Ottawa, ON, CAN

Whoo man.. Someone spilled the salt. in here.

I like it.

7. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Chicago
    Cake!…although they have a drum kit involved as well.

8. eerbrev

eerbrev

Dec 6, 2009
    Ottawa, ON, CAN
    it was originally in "Basses".

9. Cuong vu trio. He was the trumpeter on pat metheny's "the way up". He has some trio recordings in that context.

10. Also the trumpeter avishai Cohen

11. crlujan

crlujan

Jul 26, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    Dizzy's Big 4

Dizzy Gillespie - Trumpet
    Joe Pass - Guitar
    Ray Brown - Bass
    Mickey Roker - Drums

13. gerry grable

gerry grable Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2010
    Great stuff, Chuck!
    It makes me smile remembering that one of my favorite records "Chet" was given to me in the 60's by a drummer in Albuquerque who said , "It doesn't swing."
    GG :)