Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Trunks

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by prelims222, Mar 27, 2005.

1. prelims222

prelims222

Sep 20, 2004
    Southeast US
    Hello,

I'm hoping some of you can offer your experiences on which flight trunks you consider to be the best for traveling with your instrument? I've looked at a number of them and have read that article in on of the old double bassist mags.. really it doesn't lead one to conclude much.

I've shipped basses in a few things - an Old Taylor Trunk, the Kolstein Uni-air, and the Omega that Steve Koscica deals. It doesn't make a difference in that I still get anxiety about it no matter what.

What about this airbag business? Andy Stetson said that he's had some basses get the ribs knocked in by airbags? is that from user mishandling or a change in Atmospheric pressure during shipment?

Has anyone looked at the new tuff-lite (www.tuff-lite.com) trunks at all?

What about this business about the Kolstein's being too heavy to fly with? A lot of people have suggested this to be the main drawback with that design..

I'd love to hear some discussion on the benefits/drawbacks of all the different styles of trunks.

Thanks.

2. I have the Kolstien,and I haven't had any problems flying with it.What airline said it was too heavy? I had to pay the overwieght charge for the case,and stored the case at the airport for the duration of the tour(about a month worth of gigs in central europe).The biggest hassle for me is getting such a big case to and from the airport.Hopefully you have a big van or truck if you are considering buying one.Plus they cost as much as a used truck or van too!!!!

3. Pete G

Pete G

Dec 31, 2001
    Northern Virginia
    I also use a Kolstein case, and have never had any trouble getting it accepted by the airlines. I believe it provides protection at least as good as anything else on the market, but nothing will protect a bass from the abuse that sometimes takes place with checked baggage.

Make sure your instrument insurance is in force before you head out to the airport...

4. BGreaney

BGreaney Guest

Mar 7, 2005
    I've used the kolstein case too and never had a problem. If someone had their ribs cave in from the air bags it was because they were misusing it...probably pumped it up too much. or maybe they had an abnormally large bass? i guess it's also possible that there was a massive mishandling of the trunk by the airline...

about the overweight thing...i flew jetblue sometime last year and it weighed like 120'ish, but that was because i had put some clothes in it too. the guy was a pain in the ass, but usually if you insist that you've done it before on that airline (even if you haven't) they'll give in.

5. Brian K

Brian K Supporting Member

May 21, 2004
    Toronto, ON
    I know Air Canada says they won't take anything that weighs over 100lbs.

6. prelims222

prelims222

Sep 20, 2004
    Southeast US
    Thanks for the responses so far. Keep them coming!

I'd be curious to know how many people actually own a trunk. I didn't think many people did, but I've been surprised when I ask around..

7. Pete G

Pete G

Dec 31, 2001
    Northern Virginia
    I own one. I got frustrated because on the several occasions I needed a trunk, none were available to beg, borrow, or rent. So I traded a bow I never used (and hated) straight up for an almost-new Kolstein.

I seldom use the trunk, but when I need it, I REALLY need it.

8. Johonn

Johonn

Nov 19, 2004
    Brunswick, ME
    sorry to bring this thread up again, but does anyone have a David Gage bass trunk? Ive been looking at getting a trunk in the not so near future, and thought that this one sounded decent :cool:

9. Pete G

Pete G

Dec 31, 2001
    Northern Virginia
    What have you guys been paying as overweight charges for domestic U.S. flights (and flying what airline, using what trunk?)?

I typically pay $135 on United (out of Dulles) with my Kolstein trunk. And I tip liberally to the baggage handlers and the hotel baggage staff.

10. prelims222

prelims222

Sep 20, 2004
    Southeast US
    These seemt o be one of the big problems with the heavier trunks - you have to pay a pretty penny to get them to come with you.

135 is enough for me to get: a set of strings, 2 rehairs, gas to get me from bloomington to NYC, one fantastic meal with the fiance, or completely hammered. It seems like after spending 2800 or so on a trunk, it should make it possible to accomodate flying with it without incurring constant expense. I don't know - I'm a student, I'm cheap.

I paid 165 total to have a bass shipped to me and ship it back to Steve Kosica via southwest air-freight last fall. 270 to get it on a plane I'm already paying to ride sounds like a lot.

11. I have been flying over the last year, first with an SBS case, now with a gage, and while it's always a little nerve-racking, I haven't been turned away yet (knock on wood).

Fall 2004, flew on Continental airlines portland to amsterdam, and they were cool. Cost either 110 or 220 each way (depending on whether they charge you for oversize AND overweight), but no problems getting it on. We missed our connection in houston, went through newark the next day, and when we arrived in Amsterdam, we were a day late, but the bass was a whole 'nother day late, so the first gig was electric only (i play both).

Fall 2004, flew new york to London, paid $100 or so on United/Briticsh Airways. It was easy, no big deal.

May 2005, Continental seattle to new york. They made me pay $130, weigh the bass and take stuff out to get it under 100 lbs (barely made it). They measured it, and it seemed pretty obvious to me that it was WAY over size, but she either decided not to care or didn't understand the restrictions. That was a little scary.

beste ever experience. Southwest airlines didn't blink and only charged me $50. Awesome.

I am curious to hear from other people who have been flying lately, how different airlines are behaving....

12. pklima

pklima

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    I called a few airlines to do a bit of research. The Polish airline Lot has no problem with selling an extra seat for a bass. This would be a reasonable choice for a one-time one-way trip but I'd have to get to Chicago with the bass somehow first. Driving two days. Great.

Now I'm checking with some people who have friends in the Philippines whether they might be able to bring me one of those Cremonasia cases cheaper than what Jacques wants for shipping ($750 surface or $1000 air).

At least I'm glad everything else I own will fit into two suitcases.

13. geoffzilla

geoffzilla

Oct 30, 2001
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification
    Hey folks.
    Old thread, but I've got a friend who's looking for experiences with the Omega trunk. There's one for sale locally, but he can't find any feedback positive or negative about this brand.

14. brutuscheezcake

brutuscheezcake Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2003
    Bodega Bay
    hey guys,

back last january at NAMM i met these guys, they offered me a case for $3k (i shoulda bought it, but didnt)

http://www.accordcase.com/

they make a carbon fiber case and have a road hog stanley clarke version as well. this case is one nice case! i am planning on getting one before hitting tthe road next spring. hopefully they will be at NAMM again.

based on my lascala at 22lbs and there 26lbs case i could be in bass nirvana under 50lbs total. 50 lbs is where the airlines can start hassling you, perhaps even trying to stop you. at under 50lbs they cant say sh**. i have never been stopped under 50lbs.

heck, my sadowsky and my anvil case weigh 48lbs!

accords website kinda sucks but go check 'em out anywhooo.

deeply,

simon

15. sibass89

sibass89

Jan 29, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Hey Simon -

Are those flight cases? Because they recommend on the website for use in everyday conditions, not as flight cases.

16. brutuscheezcake

brutuscheezcake Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2003
    Bodega Bay
    hey man,

ya know, i cant currently see it but the stanley clarke model is a tad heavier and beefed up for constant airline use. i would say that the regular case would definately work for light airline use.

its odd it usta be a listed model but i cant find it. hmmm...

simon