1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass tube amp kits

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Byrinthion, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Byrinthion

Byrinthion

Nov 11, 2016
    Hi TalkBass,

I had a pretty blunderous first go at this question, but I've taken suggestions into account and read up on some things, and I've returned better educated and with a better question.

I've read up on amp building kits, and I'm looking for a relatively specific sound for a jazz band. I would realistically really like to have a bassman amp, but I've become interested in build an amp recently and I think it would be fun and cool to build a bassman amp from a kit. Can anybody suggest a site or a model/design for a kit that fits?

2. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Which era bassman? Lots of clone kit builders/vendors out there- Weber, mojotone, ceriatone, trinity, triode electronics, I'm sure I'm missing a bunch. Once you have the circuit design picked out you'll just have to decide how you want to assemble the amp. Personally I'd build it as a head, not a combo, but depends on your needs/budget and what kind of kit you get.

3. Byrinthion

Byrinthion

Nov 11, 2016
    Well my budget isn't exactly ideal for a head and cab stack, but I would really like a tweed era bassman. But any era would really do. I'm sure.
    Would there be any benefits or eases of a stack or head as opposed to combo? As I said, budget will be fighting me for such a set up, but Rome wasn't built in a day. I can save up for the stack set up if it will reap any special benefits.

4. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Part of what you have to do is educate yourself. Don't be too fast to narrow the choice to a Bassman.

Checking out kit sites helps. This is a good one: Allen Amplification - Quality Tube Guitar Amps, Kit, Parts, and Repairs. Ask them for a recommendation for a bass amp kit. The hot blond is based on the 63 Bassman. I've usd his transformers, excellent products.

Trinity offers a kit based on the Ampeg B-15: Trinity Tramp Kit. The B-15 and it's little brother, the SB-12, were widely favored by Jazz artists in the NY area for many years, both for bass and guitar.

Unfortunately, the kits can be expensive.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
    blubass likes this.
  5. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  6. Re: "I would really like a Tweed era Bassman"

When you're talking about Tweed era Fender amps you should know that they are not known for being clean and clear or very loud. Which is why guitarists love them. They break up easily and at low volume. Leo was constantly redesigning his amps to eliminate distortion. As people played louder and drove the amps harder they would go into distortion. You can forget about playing with a drummer using a Tweed era bass amp, you will be drowned out in a second. You would be better off going with a later era. I.e. Mid 60'-63' Blond & Brownface, 64'-67'Blackface, 68'-83' Silverface.

7. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Most combo kits are going to be geared towards guitar, not bass, so they'll be open back and struggle at gigging volumes for bass use. If you build the amp into a head you can use any cab or combination of cabs you'd like, guitar or bass, as long as the impedance matches.

8. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    The mojo kit looks very good. The documentation is well done. Good options should the builder want to customize it with different components.

On the negative side, it is not that much less than the current Fender production model which comes with regulatory certification and will have a better resale value should it ever be sold. But that's true of all kits. On the plus side, the kit, with eyelet board construction, adds some mojo and brings the amp closer to a clone of the original.