1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass tuners

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mattman36, May 18, 2011.

1. mattman36

mattman36

May 18, 2011
    I've been looking for a tuner that is decent for a while now can anyone help me ?

2. yes

:)

3. mattman36

mattman36

May 18, 2011
    I've had a look at the snark tuners but I'm not sures :/

4. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Sonic Research Turbo Tuner. I do not have the words to sufficiently sing its praises.

5. Pupiit

Pupiit

Jun 5, 2010
    GA
    Seems like a lot of folks like the Korg Pitchblack. There's always the Boss TU-2 and TU-3. Also look at the TC Electronics Polytune pedal.

6. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Korg Pitchblack has been doin it for me this last couple of years now.

7. mattman36

mattman36

May 18, 2011
  8. Yes , they are decent.
    So, you are looking for a clip on, and not a rackmount?

9. mattman36

mattman36

May 18, 2011
    Well I've just bought an acoustic bass so I guess :)

10. Electricblue

Electricblue

Feb 1, 2011
    Norfolk
    Boss TU-80.

Its served me for years. I've used it down to a low B, with which it is very stable.

11. If your bass has no pickup, the snark is the one for you.
    If you have a 4th generation ipod touch, there are some good apps for that - free!

12. mattman36

mattman36

May 18, 2011
    Ok thank you for all the help :D

13. chadhargis

chadhargis Jack of all grooves, master of none Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    I have the Polytune and it's awesome. You can strum all strings at once and it will show you if you are in tune or not. Pluck one string at a time, and it acts like a traditional tuner.

14. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    +1 for the sonic research turbo for accuracy and true bypass, and the battery lasts forever - no drain unless being used to tune. The snark is also great and a very cheap option, tracks low E no problem.

15. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I got too good a deal on a Polytune to pass it it up so I bought that one and I really like it. But I've also seen great things written about the Pitchblack and the Sonic research, too. They all seem to be good tuners.

I also bought a pair of Snarks (the red one, with a mic) because they were also at a great price ($12.99 at Amazon). I've tuned with a Snark and then checked it against the Polytune and it always checks out. For your acoustic, a Snark would be a great option. And, as carl h. said, I have have a tuner app on my phone (a Droid) as well, and it also seems to do a nice job.

I have so many ways of tuning now I can't help but be perfectly tuned all the time. Unfortunately, that becomes a disadvantage because the only remaining possibility for why I sound so bad is my playing, 'cause it sure as h3ll isn't a bad tuning job. :D

16. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Why do you need any more than a little pocket tuner, something wrong with the bass? Any half decent bass will hold tune for an hour, some for a week. Doesn't need to fancy or expensive either. I have a MIM Pbass and a carvin kitbuilt. I tune 'em both once a night and they stay there. Maybe have the bass checked out before you drop money on something that isn't going to fix the problem.

17. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

It's not uncommon for people that play paying gigs to use a tuner on stage - besides the fact that some players use drop tunings during a typical gig, a bass going slightly flat during a 10-2 gig doesn't necessarily mean there's anything wrong with it...

In fact, I'd say that gigging bassists that don't use an onstage tuner are probably in a very small minority...

- georgestrings

18. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Regarding the OP - for a racked tuner, I like Korg's DTR-1000 or DTR-2000...

For a pedal type, the Turbo Tuner or Polytune are as god as it gets, with the Pitchblack being very close behind... Peterson's Strobostomp is very good, also - it's plenty accurate enough for setting intonation, and is easy to read during a daytime gig in bright sunlight...

I currently own a DTR-2000, Pitchblack, Pitchjack, and Strobostomp - and have used the others I mentioned, besides both the TU-2 and TU-3... IMO, Boss tuners are very inferior to the others I mentioned here...

- georgestrings

19. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I do use one between every set, just rarely have to make adjustments. If someone has a personal preference for a rackmount or pedal fine, it just sounded to me like too much emphasis was starting to creep in on the "this one's better than that one" thing when were talking about something that's cheap and shouldn't be needed that often.

20. redhed

redhed

Oct 25, 2009
    I love my KORG Pitchblack pedal tuner, accurate with all my basses and works well with a 5-string too