1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Tuning Keys

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by neplayer, Apr 8, 2009.

1. I'm planning to replace my Bass Tuning Keys on my newly acquired Antoniotsai 7 Stringer. I'm going with GOTOHs. Are they all the same size or they have specific Tuners for specific guages?

2. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    All the same - just make sure you get left and rights depending on where they are on the headstock.

You don't have different tuners for different string gauges.

3. ettsn

ettsn

Mar 29, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Spindle hole sizes can vary. The two major sizes are the cloverleaf style (Fender) and the Sperzel or Gotoh size (much smaller). My guess on your 7er, you've likely got the smaller size. You also need to note if your headstock is 4/3, 3/4 or something else (probably 4/3).

4. Oh ok...thanks guys. And yes, I will go for Gotoh or similar style. The ones that are on there right now feels a little rough and some of the white washer have cracked and fallen off...

5. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    The Gotohs are nice, but I like the Hipshot line a whole lot better. For that fact, I actually like the Schallers over / above the Gotohs. The Hipshots come in 3/8" and 1/2", are easily interchangable from left-hand to right-hand, and Hipshot offers the best service available should you encounter any problem.

Riis