1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass tuning to accompany D-standard guitar?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Jeffbo, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Jeffbo

Jeffbo

Jul 14, 2011
    Subject really says it all. Just a good bass tuning to accompany a guitar tuned to DGCFAD. Suggestions?

2. maxiegrant

maxiegrant Bassist in Transition

Nov 26, 2007
    Sellersburg, IN
    Drop-D (as in, tune the usual E to a D).

Then, you can hit the octave below his lowest note, but you don't have to relearn your whole fretboard too.

3. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks

Dec 7, 2010
    22 ft below sea level
    I usually tune to DGCF if the guitar is tuned to DGCFAD. If the guitar is only drop-D-tuned, I do likewise (DADG). It also depends on the song(s). Sometimes they only have one or two low D's in it, which I then play on the normal D-string, without re-tuning the bass.

4. sleeplessknight

sleeplessknight Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Seattle
    If you know what chords the guy is playing, what's wrong with EADG or BEAD?

5. A 5 string

6. Jeffbo

Jeffbo

Jul 14, 2011
    I was thinking something other than D standard and standard originally. Something I've never really tried before. I'm usually in one of the other aforementioned

7. wmheilma

wmheilma

Jan 5, 2010
    Had a gig last year where I had never played with any of the guys, barely know any of the tunes, and on the day of the show the guitar player said, "Oh by the way i play everything dropped a whole step, so you'll need to either transpose or tune down."

"This is going to be a disaster." I thought. I have never really messed with the tuning on any of my six strings.

So I grabbed the Modulus Q6, dropped it a step, and played the gig. It went fine!

It sounded so cool that I picked up a heavy set of strings for next time!

8. CnB77

CnB77

Jan 7, 2011
    NJ
    Nothing wrong with being tuned standard, unless you really need lower notes.

9. bwoodman

bwoodman Supporting Member

This is why I've played a 5 string since around 1987 - doesn't matter what the guitar tunes to - open tunings, whatever....5 string is real handy.

10. tekhedd

tekhedd Tone chaser Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2009
    Colorado, USA
    Owner/operator of BYTE HEAVEN
    This is why I've played a 5-string tuned ADGCF since about 1995, and a 4-string tuned DGCF since about 1987.

As someone once said "Doesn't matter what the guitar tunes to - open tunings, whatever....detuning a whole step is real handy." ;)

One of those Waves capos comes in handy too, for certain songs that require open strings in "standard" places...

11. I have used the 5 string, and 4s in DGCF and DADG. They all will work for the situation, so it really does come down on which you prefer.
    With a four string, I find DADG my preference, but I really prefer the 5 string because it just makes more sense to me that the scale shapes stay the same.